Saturday, August 24, 2013

Julia's Chocolates



My book-club "The Lit Wits" met last night.

And....we had a great time.

We read and discussed " Julia's Chocolates by  Cathy Lamb".

If anyone has read this book, you will understand why I can't show too many photos of book club last night, as there was a 'theme' involved.
(we just got some funny chocolates, that were mentioned in the book)

It was a wonderful evening, with lots of laughs and good food, good friends and some great book discussion. 

Everyone at book-club LOVED the book.   except me.

 I liked the book very much, but I didn't love it.  It was a fun read but it also dealt with some very serious subjects, and the author did it with good hard facts and added some quick wit to soften the subject, but---there wasn't enough story development for me.  Everything happened quickly and ended quickly and was just too tidy for me.

My book-club friends said, "it's a book!!!"   "Enjoy it for what it is"

And I did.  And you might too.
I would read another of Lamb's books, because they are enjoyable.... I just wish she'd leave one untidy thing at the end.  Because life is untidy.
But maybe that's why everyone loved it so much.   We all wish for a happy ending, right?

It was a lovely evening for a book-club.  
We had Cincinnati Chili!   (it had some chocolate or cocoa powder in it for the chocolate theme)
and some great Mississippi Mud Cake.  Mmmmm...... 







and then....
we had some chocolate lollipops.  Just like Julia made in the book.
yes, I did take a picture, but....  I don't think I can post it.   
You can see it in your mind's eye, I'm sure.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I haven't read the book but I'm very curious about those lollipops now. You sound like me with books - sometimes I overanalyze things.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...