Thursday, August 1, 2013

Time for a cattle auction

Every year, at our Convention Center  (I have a little office in the East Hall of said Convention Center) there is a big conference--Superior Livestock Auction.  This is a huge, huge cattle auction--done completely on video.  Millions of cattle are bought and sold and we don't see one live cow.
It intrigues me for some reason.

Tonight I will help with the huge HUGE bbq and later, the concert.  
I stand at the door and when they tell me how many steaks are done, I let that many people in.  It's fun.

For now, I just wanted to share a few pics....



setting up for the concert




Buying and selling
the screens show video of cattle--all day long. Today was local cattle ranchers selling. It's a week long auction and the ranchers come from all over the west.
It's fun to hear the auctioneers lingo.
Notice that some of the ranchers have  computers on their tables...and phones are out all the time.
It's a different cattle world than when my granddad was running a ranch in Oregon.




3 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

I find this all so fascinating Debbie. We have cattle auctions here in Pennsylvania but I don't think they are as "high tech" as this!

Thank you so much for sharing, have FUN!

Karen said...

I think I remember this from last year. Quite a production and yes, VERY different than the way they used to do things!

bermudaonion said...

I can see why that intrigues you. I am so glad there are people who want to ranch and farm.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...