Tuesday, August 20, 2013

THIS AND THAT


I spent $9 for a lb of bacon the other day.  When did bacon get so expensive?  I am lucky I am at a place in my life that I can buy bacon if I want it, no matter the cost! (well okay, it does matter, but you know what I mean).
I just think it's horrible---and worry about my kids trying to raise their families.  (I'm sounding like my mother here and that's kind of scary)

We had our Nevada summer rainstorm this afternoon.  It lasted 10 minutes and I was inside.  I hate when that happens.  I hated to miss it.
I say 'our' because it's like we have one rainstorm all summer---we own it.

I didn't do a post for  First Intro-First Paragraph today.  I wanted to, I just didn't plan well.  I don't plan well often.
Which is really weird, because I write everything down!!
Just today, I told the Handyman that I was going to plan something spontaneous for Thursday.  

I got new books yesterday.  I'm very excited:
Wild by Cheryl Strayed
To America by Stephen Ambrose
Brewster by Mark Slouka
The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty
Have you read any?   Are they good?   

I got a new cookbook yesterday.  I'm very excited about this too:
The Recipe Girl Cookbook by Lori Lange (the recipe girl).

I had a library board meeting right after work tonight. (this is when we had our rain storm).   We have a small rural farming town in our county with a branch library--it's a small room in their community hall.
We really need a building of our own for the library.  
An elderly gentlemen in that community deeded us (the library) his home and property when he dies.  He did that 5 years ago.  He has not died  yet.  Which is good---for him.  
But, it's really, REALLY  weird to be planning stuff with his home and property while he is still alive---it feels a bit morbid.  "Hey Earl, we need to measure this living room for shelves!  You know--for when you pass away-- by the way, how ya feeling?"
Like I said---its weird.

I am going to have popcorn for dinner, because the Handyman is working late and I like popcorn.  Real popcorn, not microwave.  With real butter and salt.
And then.... I am going to....
grab my book and read?  write a letter to a friend?  watch Orange is the New Black?

That's all.

3 comments:

Susan Lindquist said...

Free associating, are we ? Haha! I love it! My daughter says Orange ... is a pretty good (and funny) show. I'd try it. but I'd have to expand my cable contract and they won't get another dime from me! Guess I'll have to wait for Netflix to release the first season ... will have to kill time with my stack of books and Red Sox baseball on the tube.

As for popcorn? You're onto the real thing ... there's nothing like buttery salty popcorn!

bermudaonion said...

$9 for a pound of bacon? I don't think it's that expensive here but will have to pay attention the next time I'm in the grocery store. We've had nothing but rain this summer and I would gladly share it with you.

Karen said...

Poor Earl...

"by the way, how ya feeling?"

That cracked me up.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...