Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Friday Friend Recipe #37 -- Cottage Fruit Salad


Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.

What is the Friday Friend cookbook:   I have about 50 of my closest friends and family on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends (from all over the county).  At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 15 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions,  exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts,  had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday.

AND,  we contributed recipes for a cookbook.
Which brings me to this... recipe #37

Linda's 
Cottage Fruit Salad


As I said before-- jello salads are hard to photograph.
And as I said before--The Handyman is going to have to suffer thru the 'jello' section of the FF Cookbook, because he is not a jello fan.

Interesting tho.
I made this.
He tasted it. ( I have no idea why or when)
He said -- That Jello is good.
I said -- really?
He said -- it's the first jello salad I've ever tasted.
I said -- are you kidding me? You've been saying for years how you only like plain jello and HATE all other types of jello salads?
He said -- yep.

So, this peach Jello Salad has the stamp of approval from the Handyman.
That's worth a LOT!

Maybe he loved the peaches*.
Look how lovely they look in the photo below.
You can see all those peach chunks, right?




OKAY!!  I cannot tell a lie.
I could not find peach jello ANYWHERE in this town.  It's small, remember?  And there. was. no. peach. jello. to be found.
so I  used the new Mango flavored jello and mangos.   Mmmmmmm.
It was soooo good!
It does say  "fruit' salad.  So I figure one can substitute any fruit, right?
Do you have peach jello in your town?


Cottage Fruit Salad
Linda Ornelas, Walla Walla, WA

1 large carton cottage cheese
1 pkg peach jello
1 can drained peaches
1 small container of Cool Whip

Thoroughly mix cottage cheese and dry jello.  Add peaches and cool whip.
Chill at least 1 hour. 


OOPS!
Never mind.
(it says peach.  I just left the store)


Okay, so there is such a thing as peach jello.
And I'm sure it would be great.
But.... .try the mango. 
(sorry Linda)


This is Linda with her 2nd showing in the FF cookbook!
She has lots more to go, so lets see if I can think of a story to tell.

Well last time I said that I danced in a Go-Go cage in a bar on my 13th birthday--with her permission!!
Whhhattt?

???

She and her husband ran a janitorial service and my brother and I got to go with them one evening to clean.
Bars closed up at 2am, so of course no one was there.
My cousin put a dime in the juke box and let me dance while the rest of them cleaned.
Linda was living in Southern California at the time and we were on a 
2-week Southern Cal vacation.
Yes, I do remember going to  Disneyland, but I what really stands out was getting to wear my white go-go boots and dance in a cage!


This is what I thought I looked like:




Me and Linda.
Linda and I.

I hope you can forgive the peach/mango jello mix up Linda.
AND, the story is more about me, than you.
sorry.
But, I had fun!
I always had fun with you.


5 comments:

Laura. said...

Ooh I'd like to try this out!!

www.internetlyaddicted.blogspot.co.uk

~~louise~~ said...

Lol, I never realized what the Friday Freinds stood for Debbie. Very Coooool!

I'm not a hige fan of Jell-) salads either but I must say, this one sure does look inviting especially since Jell-O never really "smiles" for the camera:)

Go, Go dancing, oh my! It's been years since I've heard the words and even longer since I yearned to be in those cages! Thanks for the memories, Debbie and of course the recipe!

P.S. Guess what? Tina joined Cookbook Wednesday this week, lol...

Beth F said...

Ha!!!! I remember go-go boots!! Too much fun.

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Debbie,
Just popping over to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas! Enjoy every moment, Debbie and hope to "see" you next year:)

BTW, Cookbook Wednesday is on for the month of January. It seems visitors are just not ready to give it us yet, lol...

Tina said...

Just wanted to say, I can send you peach jello if you are in a fix!
Hope you are doing well, you haven't posted in a while. Thinking of you.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...