Saturday, November 8, 2014

Friday Friend Recipe #32 -- German Pancakes


Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.

What is the Friday Friend cookbook:   I have about 50 of my closest friends and family on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends (from all over the county).  At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 15 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions,  exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts,  had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday.

AND,  we contributed recipes for a cookbook.
Which brings me to this... recipe #32

Ashley's  
German Pancakes
(also known as Dutch Babies)



I actually make this quite often.  Everyone loves it.
It's easy
I even wrote a blog post about it before.

But I had to make it again, for the official countdown of the FF Cookbook.
And like I said...it's good.
Love it piping hot right out of the oven.
The grandkids love to watch it puff up.
Sometimes I make blueberry sauce or put an apple pie filling over it, but usually just warm syrup.



 German Pancakes
FF Ashley Ferguson
Winnemucca, NV

6 eggs
1 cup flour
1 t. vanilla
1 cube butter
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 t. salt

Melt butter in a 11x13 pan  (I used a large cast iron skillet) in a 350F oven.  Blend eggs in blender till bubbly. Add rest of ingredients and blend til light and bubbly.  Pour egg mixture over butter in pan.
Bake at 400 for  1-15 minutes. 
Cut into squares and serve with powdered sugar, syrup or jam.


And now let me tell you about a NEW Friday Friend-- not new to the FF's but new to the countdown.
This is my friend Ashley --- on the right.
She and her husband own a few restaurants called  "the Griddle" (one in Nevada, 3 in Idaho)
The Griddle has GREAT Home cooking, but that's not my story about her.
This is my story.
Ashley and I took a college class together about  15 years ago  (we were both working on degrees and ended up in the same class a couple of times)
The first one was-- World Religions and instead of a final exam we had to do a 3 hour presentation on one of the world's great religions.
We chose Judaism.
And then we set out to learn everything we could.

To make a long story short, during our 3 hour presentation, we also served a Seder meal... which WE cooked, completely kosher too.
So, I guess we have food in our history!

Our friend Betty, The Handyman and Ashley.



A few weeks ago, we took my father-in-law out out to breakfast at 
The Griddle, here in town.
Best breakfasts EVER!
(I took the picture from the car ---it was raining, as you can probably tell)


My father-in-law.  Too busy enjoying his breakfast to look up.





1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Does The Griddle serve German pancakes?

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...