Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Friday Friend Recipe #97- Dried Beef Log


Recipe number 97

Come with me as I continue to countdown my Friday Friend Cookbook
What is it, you may ask?
About 15 years ago, 50 of my closest friends and family, who had been on an e-mail forum with me, sent in recipes in different categories and we compiled a cookbook.
I decided to count those down!
Why?
Because the one night I was looking thru the cookbook and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog"
The Handyman--who thinks he knows me better than I know myself, said,  "you'll never EVER do that."
Well,  maybe I will!  Maybe I'll show him!

Which brings me to recipe #97
Barb's Dried Beef Log




For the longest time, I was like---o.m.gee, seriously I have to make a dried beef log?  (there are a few there in the FF Cookbook, which I hesitate to make.  My mother's carrot pudding being one of them)

I couldn't even find 'chipped beef' here in small town Winnemucca.  I was looking for 'chipped beef' -- it was a no go,  but there was a jar of Dried Beef on the grocer's shelf.  
I had to cut it up and chip it myself!!
After much complaining on my part---and making 4 appetizers on the same day (all from the Friday Friend Cookbook) as I was doing my CLAM CHOWDER COOK-OFF (glutton for punishment is me), I actually discovered that I really REALLY like this Dried Beef Log!

It's really good!!
(It just didn't sound too good--dry.  beef and a log. hmmmm)
My apologies Barbara Brown!
A job well done!--Dried Beef Log.
It's a classic recipe made with cream cheese and dried beef and it is YUMMY!
I could see this becoming a family favorite.
*******************************


Dried Beef Log
Barbara Brown
Buckeye, AZ

1 8oz cream cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan
1 T horseradish
1/3 cup chopped green olives
2 1/2 oz dried beef, finely snipped

Blend the first 3 ingredients. Stir in olives. On waxed paper, shape into 6" rolls. Wrap and chill several hours or overnight. Roll in snipped beef to serve with assorted crackers.



My Barb Story --
I am running out of them-Stories about Barb.  Or at least I can't think of them when I put myself in this spot--I want one RIGHT NOW!
When you are counting down a recipe book and it comes upon Barb's 24th time, one kind of runs out of things to say.
She managed JCPenney stores---check
Her kids are 18 years apart -- check
she's a game player -- check
she likes frogs -- check

Um....spelling Nazi?  Did I tell you about that?

Okay, we're going back in time to Feb of 2005.
Rich's truck got riffled thru and burgled last night (Jan 31).  They took his spare change and his CD's.

I write about this on my Friday Friend Forum.

Barb writes back:
I am so sorry.  Not about Rich and the burglary, but about the jillion  words you spelled wrong!  I was so aghast, I barely read the note for what it said......

okay she's the only one on the forum who comments on my spelling.  I said "well, you know what the Oxford Dictionary says about spelling?  Smart people will just KNOW what you meant."  And then I laughed at her.

But two days later she writes this:
I am a bit upset at my daughter.  She has had the audacity to challenge me--the Spelling Nazi--on a word that I had written years ago in my recipe book.  I had a recipe called "Chicken Parisienne" which she feels should be "Parisian"..... I figure if she ever cooks it, she can spell it however she wants.


My friend Barbara Brown--  the ultimate SPELLING NAZI!
Always has been, always will be.

Here she is--Standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona.
(such a fine sight to see)



This is tooo funny!!
I just looked in the FF Cookbook and Barb submitted her Parisienne Chicken!!!!
I think I'll make it this weekend!!






1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I remember stuff like that from years ago.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...