Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Spiced Rum Applesauce--Cookbook Countdown Number #88 with Cookbook Wednesday




is hosted by Louise
at 
I love Louise's blog!  She has such interesting posts.
Today she is featuring "Mexican Fiestas".

It's been a while since I've posted on a Cookbook Wednesday, but 
as  I said the last time I posted a cookbook for the countdown,  
this isn't even making a dent in my collection.
And it's #88!
This will keep me busy until I die. (posting from each cookbook)





When I was little my mom made a side dish: fried apples.  It looked similar to this.
I think these look like caramelized onions kind of.  What do you think?

But cookbook 88!
It's a good one.


Goodreads says:
Hungry for something different? Then try America's Best BBQ. Here, two of the world's top barbecue experts present their favorite barbecue recipes from across America.

Only Ardie and Paul, the go-to sources on barbecue, can earn the trust--and the secret recipes--from some of the nation's barbecue legends.

Tasty sides include tips, tricks, techniques, fun memorabilia, full-color photos, and firsthand recollections of tales from the pits culled from over a century of combined barbecue experience.

With more than 100 recipes for mouthwatering starters, moist and flavorful meats, classic side dishes, sauces and rubs, and decadent desserts, this book should come with its own wet-nap.

* Whether it's spicy or sweet, Texas or Memphis, this is the best collection of American barbecue recipes.

********
While I  have many book marks in this cookbook for some good BBQ, this night I wanted something simple, so I chose these pork steaks and chunky applesauce.
I love applesauce and any apple dessert, and this was easy-peasy.
It was good, but didn't taste like any applesauce I've ever had.  First of all there was NO cinnamon and second, there WAS spiced rum.
You have to learn how to give and take, right?
The apples cooked in spiced rum was different.  It was good tho.  
I didn't add the raisins, because, well, plump warm raisins are only good in cookies.   (Seriously tho, I don't like raisins in sauces and things, but I do like them in cookies)   You can add the raisins if you want.

Would I recommend this recipe?
Yes, I would. I would definitely   make this  dish again.
It's simple, easy and tasty.



If you can't make out that recipe from above it goes like this:

Chunky applesauce
2 t canola oil
8 T butter
3-4 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
1 cup raisins
1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup Captain Morgan's spiced rum

Place oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. When the butter melts, add the apple slices and cook until soft, 10-15 minutes.  Add the raisins, brown sugar and rum and cook over low heat until you get a chunky sauce consistency, about 30 minutes.  
Serve on the side with pork steaks or pour it over them.





I really did do the pork steaks, but the Handyman cut into it to see if it was done and it looks like Pac-man on my plate and I didn't want to share.
But then I go ahead and share!
(this is why I could never do anything naughty--I'd be blabbing to all my friends)



And that is Cookbook #88!




4 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Debbie:)
You always make me laugh when I visit your blog. I especially need it today because 1) it's a dreary rainy day here in PA and 2) I soooooo need BBQ!!!

You can't go wrong with America's Best BBQ, I once had this cookbook before "lending" it to my son-in-law who gets a lot of use out of it and that makes me happy:)

I don't enjoy raisins in applesauce but I do in cookies and even cakes, lol...I do want to dig into that "pac-man" style pork steak. It looks perfectly cooked and is calling my name, Louise, Louise....

Thank you so much for sharing, Debbie and thank YOU for linking up to Cookbook Wednesday!!!

Mae Travels said...

Apples and applesauce with pork are always a winner. The applesauce at most bbq places I know is really too bland, I wish they would read this!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Katherine P said...

I'd definitely leave out the raisins as well. I'm not sold on them as a food in general though there are the occasional exceptions. This sounds really good. I love that it's a bit unusual and I love that instead of cinnamon we get spiced rum! I'd definitely give this a try. It looks tasty and easy for when I'm not in the mood for something complicated.

Debra Eliotseats said...

That chunky applesauce looks like a dessert unto itself!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...