Thursday, May 19, 2016

The Summer Before the War

From Goodreads:
East Sussex, 1914. It is the end of England’s brief Edwardian summer, and everyone agrees that the weather has never been so beautiful. Hugh Grange, down from his medical studies, is visiting his Aunt Agatha, who lives with her husband in the small, idyllic coastal town of Rye. Agatha's husband works in the Foreign Office, and she is certain he will ensure that the recent sabre rattling over the Balkans won't come to anything. And Agatha has more immediate concerns; she has just risked her carefully built reputation by pushing for the appointment of a woman to replace the Latin master.

When Beatrice Nash arrives with one trunk and several large crates of books, it is clear she is significantly more freethinking — and attractive — than anyone believes a Latin teacher should be. For her part, mourning the death of her beloved father, who has left her penniless, Beatrice simply wants to be left alone to pursue her teaching and writing.

But just as Beatrice comes alive to the beauty of the Sussex landscape and the colorful characters who populate Rye, the perfect summer is about to end. For despite Agatha's reassurances, the unimaginable is coming. Soon the limits of progress, and the old ways, will be tested as this small Sussex town and its inhabitants go to war

From Me:
I really liked this book--a lovely story about a small town in the south of England, on the verge of WWI, with a cast of quirky fun characters, some whom you will fall in love with.  It's been said if you're a fan of Downton Abbey, then you'll enjoy this book.  There is some similarities, but  it holds up on it's own I feel.  I listened to an audio version and loved the narrator, Fiona Hardingham.




4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

This sounds quiet and sweet - perfect for my mom.

JoAnn said...

Sounds wonderful! Maybe I'll give this a listen :)

Katherine P said...

Oh this sounds wonderful! I've seen this cover around and liked it but now I'm definitely adding it to my TBR. It sounds like a delightful read or listen.

Kailana said...

I have been seeing this around and it sounds really good. Going to have to give it a read one of these days!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...