Tuesday, May 10, 2016

These Vicious Masks


From Goodreads:
England, 1882. Evelyn is bored with society and its expectations. So when her beloved sister, Rose, mysteriously vanishes, she ignores her parents and travels to London to find her, accompanied by the dashing Mr. Kent. But they’re not the only ones looking for Rose. The reclusive, young gentleman Sebastian Braddock is also searching for her, claiming that both sisters have special healing powers. Evelyn is convinced that Sebastian must be mad, until she discovers that his strange tales of extraordinary people are true—and that her sister is in graver danger than she feared.


From Me:
So Amazon said
 that this book can be compared to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice meets the X-Men.
That intrigued me I had to read this book.
I think what I wrote on Litsy is "I liked it at the beginning, the middle was "eh" and then I LOVED it at the end!  It was exactly as  Amazon said:  regency era and superpowers!  (that's kind of a weird combination).
There was a little bit of romance, a lot of mystery, and---well superpowers.
I enjoyed reading this YA novel and am looking forward to the sequels. I understand it is the first in a trilogy.
3.5 stars!

4 comments:

Literary Feline said...

This sounds like something I would really enjoy! It is a book I have been wanting to read, actually. :-) I am glad you enjoyed it overall.

Anonymous said...

I have this on my TBR. the cover alone draws me in.

Katherine P said...

This one just landed on my TBR but I didn't know what it was about. I mostly just liked the cover! The blurb definitely sounds interesting. I like that you liked the beginning and loved the end. I'll keep that in mind if I'm feeling kind of meh in the middle!

Lola said...

Regency era and superheroes, that sure sounds original! It's too bad the middle was a bit eh, but that's good the ending was great again!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...