Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Friday Friend Recipe #103 - Lemon Lush



Recipe number 103



Come with me as I continue to countdown my Friday Friend Cookbook
What is it, you may ask?


In a nutshell...
About 15 years ago, 50 of my closest friends and family, who had been on an e-mail forum with me, sent in recipes in different categories and we compiled a cookbook.
I decided to count those down!
Why?


Because  one night I was looking thru the cookbook and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog"
The Handyman--who thinks he knows me better than I know myself, said,  "you'll never EVER do that."
Well,  maybe I will!  Maybe I'll show him!


Which brings me to recipe #103  My Mom's Lemon Lush




I think my mom made up the name "Lemon Lush" when she turned this in for the Friday Friend Cookbook, as I had never heard her say lemon lush in my life.
But it sounds good, so from now on this is Lemon Lush!
OMG!  I just looked online and---this really is called Lemon Lush.
sorry for doubting you mom.

Lemon Lush is GOOD!
A shortbread crust,  lemon pudding, cream cheese---what's not to like?




Lemon Lush
My Mom, Bev Hambelton

1 cup flour
1 stick butter
3/4 cup chopped nuts

1 cup powdered sugar
8oz cream cheese
1 cup cool whip

 3 cups milk
2 pkgs lemon instant pudding

Mix first 3 ingredients together and put in a 9x13 pan.  Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.  Cool.
Mix powdered sugar, cream cheese and cool whip.  Spread on cooled crust.
Whip milk and pudding together and spread over top.  Frost with the rest of the cool whip and sprinkle nuts on top.
Put into refrigerator.




This is my mom's 15th appearance on the Friday Friend Cookbook Countdown.
To see all her recipes click here.

My mother loved football and she really LOVED the Seattle Seahawks. 
My youngest son loves the Dallas Cowboys.
One year for his Christmas present, my parents took my son and his wife to the Seahawks/Cowboys game in Seattle.  My parents were season ticket holders for the Seahawks for many years, so they just bought a couple extra tickets and made  a very special day for Mark.

For many years  Mark and his Grandma had a friendly rivalry.  They didn't live near each other, but during football season they talked every Sunday on the phone about who was going to win what game, who was the better quarterback, the better coach, etc.
Seriously they could quote stats to each other and my mom could understand all that football lingo.
(and while I do love football, that rabid fanatical FAN skipped a generation---went straight to my son)



As you can tell---Grandma has been a fan since the beginning.
These are my boys 31 years ago, shirts courtesy of my mom.
Mark is the one sucking on his fingers.
It only took him about 10 years to fall in love with the Dallas Cowboys and then he never looked back--he became his own man, with his own ideas.
And also, he quit sucking his fingers.  And grew some hair.
But he never lost that loyalty to a 'team' which he inherited from my mom.
(he has stuck with the Cowboys thru thick and thin, thin, thin.....)



The banner  said "Seahawks Rule"  when Mark and his family arrived  for the weekend.  On game-day, "rule was mysteriously covered over with the word  "Suck".
Friendly rivalry -- my mother loved it.
She was a rabid fan, a 12th man, a passionate sports lover, be it Football, Hockey or Baseball.


My favorite season is fall, and one of those nostalgic, good memories of my own childhood is the sound of football on the television and the smell of Sunday dinner cooking in the kitchen.
Pot roast? Maybe.  Roast chicken? Perhaps.
  And maybe for dessert, Lemon Lush.

Yay for Sunday dinner at mom's!
(go Seahawks)

And that is my mom's story!!

Recipe Number 103.




3 comments:

Karen said...

OMG, this stuff is so good! A restaurant in El Centro used to service it - they couldn't keep enough of it! Nice pics :)

Katherine P said...

Oh this sounds so good! I love anything lemon and add in cream cheese and I just can't resist. I love the story. Here in the South we're more college football fans than NFL fans but I completely understand the loyalty to a team. I'm a diehard Auburn fan and that won't change ever despite the fact we're in a bit of a thin spot. In fact my younger daughter is attending school there now and I have a feeling that there's going to be another generation of diehard Auburn fans!

Anonymous said...

Your ohana is so cute. It was fun learning about them.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...