Monday, September 19, 2016

The Beekeepers Apprentice

From Goodreads:
Long retired, Sherlock Holmes quietly pursues his study of honeybee behavior on the Sussex Downs. He never imagines he would encounter anyone whose intellect matched his own, much less an audacious teenage girl with a penchant for detection. Miss Mary Russell becomes Holmes' pupil and quickly hones her talent for deduction, disguises and danger. But when an elusive villain enters the picture, their partnership is put to a real test.

From Me:
Very good at the beginning and at the end. The middle was a little slow for me, but I really enjoyed the story.   Even tho I know all about Sherlock Holmes, I haven't actually read anything by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
I have watched the BBC series  with Benedict Cumberbatch a bit, and I've read other books that allude to Sherlock Holmes AND I have this old board game called  "221 B Baker Street",  so I feel I know Sherlock,  and yet---do I?
I feel that Laurie King has helped me know him better.  But really, I should probably read something original about Holmes.

The book is about a retired Sherlock Holmes living in the country, attending to his bees,  meeting a  young girl, Mary Russell,  and becoming her mentor.  Of course a mystery ensues and danger abounds and they have to solve the case together.

I looked on my bookshelf and I do have the "Treasury of Sherlock Holmes" in the 'classic' shelf---I knew enough to want the book on my shelf (where it has sat for years) but now I'm intrigued and have pulled it off the shelf and put it in a more accessible TBR pile.

As I mentioned above--I really enjoyed the story and will pick up the next in the series soon. 
I love the idea of Sherlock Holmes and this reimagining is quite good.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds so good! I'm tempted to check out the ebook version but I have a mini stack I need to finish up on my nightstand.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...