Saturday, January 6, 2018

What Should I Read Next




Michelle says:

We sit for hours looking through our TBR lists wondering when we will ever get to that one book we were dying to read when we added it 3 months ago or maybe even a year. As our piles get bigger we realize there is just not enough time in a day to read all the books that we wanted to read. So I had a great idea, pick 3 books from my TBR Pile and have you all pick which one I should read next. This is a monthly MEME and you are more than welcome to join me. 

There are of course some rules, but if you want to join in go here to check them all out.

********************
2018 brings a new year, and so I am ready to get back into the swing of things and join in with this meme again. One of my resolutions is to not do 'too many' challenges and memes, but to stick to the ones I really like -- and I really do like this one!

So, let us begin --you know how it goes--I'll choose 3 books from my TBR list and you guys vote on which one I should read next and then I'll read it and report on it at the end of the month.
a word of warning...I've never been able, or taken the time really, do insert a poll in the body of this blog post, so...SORRY, but you are just going to have to vote with a comment.

I'll let you know next week, which one wins!
 
Here are 3 that have been in my TBR pile for awhile now:



The Vanderbeekers have always lived in the brownstone on 141st Street. It's practically another member of the family. So when their reclusive, curmudgeonly landlord decides not to renew their lease, the five siblings have eleven days to do whatever it takes to stay in their beloved home and convince the dreaded Beiderman just how wonderful they are. And all is fair in love and war when it comes to keeping their home


When a bookshop patron commits suicide, his favorite store clerk must unravel the puzzle he left behind in this fiendishly clever debut novel from an award-winning short story writer.

Lydia Smith lives her life hiding in plain sight. A clerk at the Bright Ideas bookstore, she keeps a meticulously crafted existence among her beloved books, eccentric colleagues, and the BookFrogs—the lost and lonely regulars who spend every day marauding the store’s overwhelmed shelves.

But when Joey Molina, a young, beguiling BookFrog, kills himself in the bookstore’s upper room, Lydia’s life comes unglued. Always Joey’s favorite bookseller, Lydia has been bequeathed his meager worldly possessions. Trinkets and books; the detritus of a lonely, uncared for man. But when Lydia flips through his books she finds them defaced in ways both disturbing and inexplicable. They reveal the psyche of a young man on the verge of an emotional reckoning. And they seem to contain a hidden message. What did Joey know? And what does it have to do with Lydia?

As Lydia untangles the mystery of Joey’s suicide, she unearths a long buried memory from her own violent childhood. Details from that one bloody night begin to circle back. Her distant father returns to the fold, along with an obsessive local cop, and the Hammerman, a murderer who came into Lydia’s life long ago and, as she soon discovers, never completely left. Bedazzling, addictive, and wildly clever, Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore is a heart-pounding mystery that perfectly captures the intellect and eccentricity of the bookstore milieu and will keep you guessing until the very last page.​

Smart, warm, uplifting, the story of an out-of-the-ordinary heroine whose deadpan weirdness and unconscious wit make for an irresistible journey as she realizes the only way to survive is to open her heart
Meet Eleanor Oliphant: She struggles with appropriate social skills and tends to say exactly what she’s thinking. Nothing is missing in her carefully timetabled life of avoiding social interactions, where weekends are punctuated by frozen pizza, vodka, and phone chats with Mummy. All this means that Eleanor has become a creature of habit (to say the least) and a bit of a loner. 

But everything changes when Eleanor meets Raymond, the bumbling and deeply unhygienic IT guy from her office. When she and Raymond together save Sammy, an elderly gentleman who has fallen on the sidewalk, the three become the kinds of friends who rescue one another from the lives of isolation they have each been living. And it is Raymond’s big heart that will ultimately help Eleanor find the way to repair her own profoundly damaged one.

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine is the story of a quirky yet lonely woman whose social misunderstandings and deeply ingrained routines could be changed forever—if she can bear to confront the secrets she has avoided all her life. But if she does, she’ll learn that she, too, is capable of finding friendship—and even love—after all.


Thanks!
I'll be back next Saturday.
vote in the comments please.



8 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I vote for Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. I loved it!

Michelle@Because Reading said...

I am voting for The Vanderbeekers, I have wanted to read that one and would love to see what someone thinks before I do. I look forward to seeing which one wins! :)

JoAnn said...

Elinor Oliphant gets my vote... I really need to red it soon!

Tina said...

I’m going with Eleanor Oliphant, it’s on my list of eBook holds at the library. I have you on my blog roll at Squirrel Head Manor for the foodie posts but I need to add you to my book blog at Novel Meals. I like hearing about you book clubs.

Julie @ Smiling Shelves said...

All three of these have been on my radar recently, but I'm voting for The Vanderbeeker's because I love middle grade books!

Literary Feline said...

This is a tough choice! I have a copy of Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore on my TBR pile, but I'm so curious about Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. It's a hard choice! I'll go with Eleanor Oliphant! I hope you enjoy whichever wins, Debbie! Have a great week!

Tina @ The Cactus Jefa said...

This was definitely a hard choice but I picked Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. I hope you enjoy whichever one wins!

Tina @ As Told By Tina

Stefanie said...

These all sound good but I say read the second one.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...