Friday, February 7, 2014

Chocolate Cookie Recipe #11

Grandma's Chocolate Chip Cookies with Oil
(#11 in my quest)

No, not my grandma---just someone's grandma, who entered the recipe in this cookbook-






The one I'm slowly making my way thru.

Look at this cookie---this #11.   

This someone's grandma's cookie. 

Made with oil.  (granted only a tablespoon but still--it's in the title).   

This someone's grandma's cookie made with  (shudder)  margarine.  (half margarine half butter, but still...)

Look at this skinny, little flat cookie.

What do you think?




Right now I have to eat my hat.  Or eat my words.  Or EAT ONE OF THESE GREAT COOKIES!!

Contrary to everything I've said, thought, believed about finding my perfect chocolate chip cookie.  This is the one  (so far).

I've not wanted my favorite cookie to be flat.  I've always said it had to be puffy and crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside.
Well, this cookie is all that without the puff.  Yes, it's flat,  yes it has margarine, yes it has weird measurements, yes, it's not my mom's.  But it was, really, really good.   Even a couple days after it was first baked, there was still a little crunch and then soft and chewy on the inside.

I loved this cookie.

Now my question is---do I continue on?  Searching for what?   I already love this cookie.  Why go on?  Well, because I said I would?   And it's kind of fun actually.

I baked this one exactly as directions said---no changes for the high altitude.





Grandma's Chocolate Chip Cookies With Oil

1 cup plus 2 T flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup margarine
6 T granulated sugar
6 T brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 T corn oil
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup nuts

Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
Cream together butter, margarine.  Add sugars until fluffy.  Add egg, vanilla and corn oil.  Add sifted ingredients to creamed mixture, blending well. 
Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets.
Bake at 375F for 8-10 minutes.  Allow cookies to remain on baking sheets about 2 minutes before removing to racks with metal spatulas to cool.




1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Who would have guessed a cookie with oil would be that good?

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...