Saturday, February 8, 2014

Saturday Snapshot

If you know me, you know I live in Nevada.  I love Nevada.  I have lived in Nevada for more than 34 years.  (with a 5 year break when I lived in California --there are many things I love about California).   I grew up in Washington State.  I love Washington State.  I lived there for 19 years....with summer vacations, holidays, etc spent in Eastern Oregon, where all my grandparents lived.  I love Oregon.

***I just realized that I am missing 2 years of my life.  Where the heck did I live?   34 + 19 =53, right?  I'll be 55 in August.  CRAP!  How old are my kids?  Where did time go?  What happened and where was I for those missing years???? ******

Random/useless info:  Nevada is the most mountainous state in the United States.  We have no trees, but we do have mountains.
Mountains, yes, but no volcanoes.

I grew up in the shadow of volcanoes.  

Anywhere in Oregon and Washington is in the shadow of a volcano, even if it is on the other side of the state.

My first son was born just before the great eruption of Mt. ST. Helens in Washington state ---which happened on May 18th, 1980.  We lived on the other side of the state.  I had been in church.  When I got out of church,  I noticed the sky---it looked stranger than anything I had ever seen. EVER.  It's hard to explain, but it was a HUGE ash cloud making it's way east.  Mt. ST. Helens was over 200 miles away and yet, we got ash on our cars, on our streets, on our windows.

My sister in law, Cherrie Lou Who  (that's what I call her) and her husband and friends were backpacking Mt. Rainer on 9-11 when the Twin Towers were bombed.  They had no cell phones or anything, came down from the Mountain the next day and said it was THE WEIRDEST THING EVER.  They knew nothing about the attack on the United States and they said the mood was just creepy as they were coming home.  A quiet, weird sensation   and a feeling of dread came over them.

What has all this got to do with Saturday Snapshot?  
Nothing really, except I have a bunch of old photos of volcanoes that I wanted to share.

Saturday Snapshot was started by Alyce of At Home With Books and is hosted by Melinda of West Metro Mommy It’s easy to participate – just post a picture that was taken by you, a friend, or a family member and add your link on Melinda’s site.

So, here you are...
(they are Oregon/Washington Volcanoes.  Mt. Hood,  Mt. Rainier, Mt Bachelor and.... some others.  I took  some of the photos,  my father-in-law took a couple)










4 comments:

Susan Lindquist said...

So beautiful! I was a newlywed when Mt St Helens blew ... my husband and I were dreaming of visiting the Pacific Northwest at the time. It took us ten more years to save enough to take a vacation. By then, the mountain was just beginning to rejuvenate ... there was fireweed blooming and the beginnings of grasses and trees sprouting in the rubble and ash, but Spirit Lake still looked like it had boxes of toothpicks thrown onto it surface (what was left of it) ... I was amazed by the vastness of the eruption ...
when hiked parts of the mountain and then trails on Mt Rainier, I was so aware of the power beneath the Earth's surface ...

bermudaonion said...

Wow, those volcanoes look like they're just floating in the sky. Such gorgeous scenery!

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Debbie!

WOW! Those sure are some beautiful shots! The volcanos really do look like they are floating.

Where does the time go? Not an easy answer I'm afraid. I'm still trying to get use to the idea that my son will be forty something in just a few days. Wowza!

After the Winter we have experienced, I just may be making a move to warmer climate. Nevada is on my radar:)

Thanks for sharing those shots, Debbie. It made me realize the sun will shine again, someday...

Louise said...

What a gorgeous selection of photos! They do look like they're floating.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...