Saturday, February 15, 2014

Just thinking


It's a small world. 

How many times have we heard that phrase?
Earlier today, I posted  a photo for Saturday Snapshot,  and just a bit ago I received a comment from a reader who knew EXACTLY where my pictures were taken.
Her grandparents-in-law lived there.

How fun to find someone in this blogging world who knows what you are talking about!!

The strangest "small world" incident that happened to me was  in November 2002.  I went to New York City with a friend of mine who was running in the NYC marathon.  The day of the marathon, after the race, and she slept for a few hours ,woke up and needed a big juicy hamburger,  we went to the Empire State building.  It was very late at night and there were only a handful of people on the observation deck.  We were busy looking at the sights--all bundled up because it was cold, when all of the sudden two girls said..."Mrs. McNish?"  (her name, not mine).   Come to find out, their younger sister was on the same swim team as Mrs. McNish's daughter back in California!

That was just so weird.   Clear across the country, in the middle of the night, on top of the Empire State Building to run into someone you know.

How about you?  What's your funniest, strangest,  'Small World' story?


2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I love your story! When we lived in Alabama, Vance was in school in Virginia. We had dropped him off at school and were filling our car with gas nearby. Someone spotted our license plate and asked if we knew Tim DeVore and we did because he worked with Carl!

Tina said...

OK, my best Small World story. I tagged along on one of my husband’s business trips which was in Ocala Florida (which is 185 miles south of my home).

Sitting at the hotel bar was another couple who nodded at us as we took our seats and ordered. The TV flashed up some baseball scores and I asked, to anyone in general, “Did anyone see the score for the Phillies?”

The lady across from me looks up and asks, “Are you from Philly?” I say, “Well, a very small suburb south, you wouldn’t have heard of it. Brookhaven.”

She says, “Brookhaven?! I am from Upland!” This is amazing because it’s where I tromped around, my Nana lived there, I went to school there, etc.

“I am doing genealogy research there,”she says. ‘Hey, I have loads of info on Upland,” I volunteer. My cousin still lives there, and blah, blah blah.”
Then the lady says, “My cousin Gail lives there too.” I say, “Gail….my cousin’s name is Gail. Gail XYZ.”

Turns out – me and the lady at the bar are cousins! She calls our cousin Gail and we are passing the phone around. We have the same great grandfather and start comparing notes. Wild!
A chance meeting because she was not from Ocala, just staying one night from her home 200 miles south. Long story. I think I will put this on my blog cause it’s a cool story.

Sorry for the long comment

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...