Thursday, May 15, 2014

Just thinking

Yesterday, I had a question for my book club friends, it was   a question about Robert Redford.   The Robert Redford of the olden days.

First, I must backtrack---
---there is a new mystery series coming out in June by Annamaria Alfieri.  The first book in the series is titled: Strange Gods and is set in  British Colonial Africa in 1911.

I found  out about this new series while reading  Jungle Red Writers.  I love to read Jungle Red Writers. What is Jungle Red Writers?   They describe themselves as: 
7 smart and sassy crime fiction writers dish on writing and life. It's The View. With bodies.




I love the authors who contribute to the blog.  I don't read all of them/their books, but I am faithful to a couple.
But back to the book at hand... 

Alfieri says that her book was inspired  by the real life characters known to us from Out of AfricaWest With the Night, and The Flame Trees of Thika.

In my book club  "Totally Lit",  we read "Out of Africa" about 5 years ago.
I loved that book!!  And I loved that movie!
(we also read "West with the Night")

Out of Africa was one of the most romantic books I have ever read, and one of the most romantic movies I have ever seen.
And I do not mean that in the 'lovey-dovey' sense of the word, but in the scope and extensiveness and the beauty of the story.

I am excited to read this new series, because the author uses and intersperses real-life characters into her story along with her fictional characters.
I am very excited.

Having said that tho....(that I'm excited for the series to come out)
I asked my book club members and now I'm asking you too...
the old school Robert Redford?  Yay or nay?  Do you love him?

from Out of Africa:
the director said no one could project an image of elusiveness on the screen like Redford.

Do we like elusive?  RR---yay?  or  nay?

I'm just sayin' ----- I do.  And while I read this series, my mind will be inserting mental images of  Denys Finch-Hatton, the real-life character Robert Redford plays in Out of Africa.  I mean I will be picturing Robert!  Not Denys.  





1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I haven't seen many of his movies so I'm rather indifferent.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...