Monday, April 27, 2009

Breakfast



This is a secret about me.... I hate making breakfasts. HATE IT.
I am very methodical in my mornings.
I get up early, between 5-6. (without an alarm clock), in the summer, I walk a few times a week that early, but mostly I love to come downstairs and get a cup of coffee and a good book. (more often than not lately, its been to get on the inter-net)

But let me get back to my fantasy world... I come downstairs, get my coffee, grab my book and have the best hour or 2 of my day. No TV, no phone, no interruptions. Just me, my coffee and my book.
I don't want to mess up my kitchen. It is clean from the night before. I don't want to start out my day with GREASE because lets face it, most breakfast foods are greasy...bacon, sausage, etc.

This might seem funny coming from a food-blogger. You might be saying to yourself, "that's just weird. we all like to cook, all day long".


Well. I don't. I don't want to cook in the mornings!!!

I like my kitchen to stay clean for a while.

That sounds dumb, but I just don't want to begin my day having to do dishes. And breakfast to me is a nice piece of fruit and a muffin, and I'm happy. Or a left over piece of apple pie. mmmmm.
My husband, the handy man? (see our garden project) , now he likes ham and hash browns and eggs, or chorizo and eggs or pancakes dripping with syrup.
I'm not saying that I don't like these things--I do. I just like to eat them out at a restaurant, so my kitchen stays clean.
My family (God love 'em. 1 husband, 3 boys) eat, thank me and then go off and to do their thing and I am left with a big mess.

(a disclaimer: this happened years ago, since all my boys are grown and gone now, but I can't get beyond it obviously. LOL
And if one comment says that my boys should have been made to clean up, I'll sock 'em. Of course they were!! This is just a silly remembrance on a "hobby" food blog. we've all been hearing too many things about people leaving rude comments lately, so STOP IT rude people)
I've been trying to be a better breakfast cooker....but really...Cheerios are good for you, why can't you just have a bowl?
I got off track (again).

I made breakfast for my husband this past weekend.
Dutch Babies. Or German Pancakes.
What do you call them?
Every body MUST HAVE made these before, right?
So, here's a twist on the food blogging... you tell me what I could do different here.
They always seem kind of eggy to me. They're good tho. We like them and really, there is minimal clean-up.

This counts towards my cookbook challenge too.
I've used this recipefor German Panckes that I found in an old school PTA cookbook for years now.


"Seasoned with love" Treasured Recipes from the Sonoma Heights P.T.O.

German Pancakes
6 Tbsp. butter
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Put butter in a 13x9 inch baking pan (I used my biggest cast iron skillet) and place in the oven until the butter melts.
Combine eggs, milk, flour and salt and beat together. Pour into hot, buttered skillet and bake in oven for about 20minutes.
This will puff up and is served immediately hot out of the oven with syrup or other toppings.
***********
My old P.T.O. cookbook. ( you say tomato, I say tomahtoe...P.T.A, P.T.O.) from when my kids where in elementary school. Funny thing is? I have a bunch of recipes in here. Just last week someone mentioned that they have the old Sonoma Heights cookbook we did years ago, and every other page has one of YOUR (meaning me) recipes on it.

But she said they were good.


Put the butter in the frying pan and stick it in the very hot oven.




As you can tell, I only had 5 eggs. I had to do "math", which I don't like. So, I can't even tell you the proportions I used this day.
I am so unlike Nancy at "The Dog Eats the Crumbs", who does math with every recipe post. (sigh) I so admire that.




a very hot oven.


It's 8:07 for crying out loud!!! I should still have my book in hand!! Or in the shower, or in the garden or on a walk. Grrrrrr....now I'll have a kitchen to clean up before doing any of those things. LOL







And it puffs up to look like this! (the edges are a little bit "more done". I've found this happens even if I use a 9x14 baking dish)




and it looks nice on a plate with some bacon



And the syrup.... I have both real and unreal syrup. Which do you use?




we know which one my husband uses. LOL









8 comments:

teresa said...

I'm with you, non-breakfast cooks unite! However, my hubby is a breakfast person, and this is one of his favorites. They look fantastic!

Shelby said...

I make breakfast only one day a week and it is usually Sunday morning...and it almost always is bacon and pancakes (or french toast - depending on how lazy I feel!)

I'm thinking for family recipes I may do my mom's pancake recipe - its super fluffy and yummy!

Lyndas recipe box said...

I don't do breakfast, other than cheerios, or muffins. I only make pancakes occasionally. I really prefer them for dinner once in a while! In fact, I wouldrather have all the big breakfast stuff for dinner!

Lara said...

I've totally given breakfast over to my kids. If they want anything other than cereal or oatmeal they've got to make it themselves, which they do a couple of times a week. I'll have to pass this recipe along to them for something fun and new!

Karen said...

For breakfast during the week I usually have leftovers from dinner. Yes, I've been known to eat spaghetti or fish or pork chops for breakfast. On weekends when my gardener is home I make breakfast for him... usually eggs, ham, toast & coffee. I'm not a big typical breakfast person. I've got this thing with eggs... if I stop to think about them I can't eat them and have been known to stop eating an egg after only a few bites. LOL Pancakes go halfway down and then it feels like they stay there all day so I don't use syrup much, but I love Mrs. Butterworth :) It's snowing here and raining. Hopefully the rain will melt the snow.

The Blonde Duck said...

They look great to me!

I always cook breakfast. I just don't worry about the mess!

Donna-FFW said...

Breakfast is one of my favorite things.. Unfortunately I never have time during the week but for granola bars, or something. Weekends I love to cook it. These look great, I have never made them. As for maple syrup, I use grade B to cook with, grade a to drench my pancakes in..

Gloria Chadwick said...

Gotta have my coffee first thing in the morning. I don't like to mess up my clean kitchen, either, by cooking breakfast. :)

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...