Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Friday Friend Recipe #153 -- Crock Pot Meatloaf




Come with me as I continue to countdown my Friday Friend Cookbook!

What is it, you may ask?

In a nutshell...
About 17 years ago, 50 of my closest friends and family, who had been on an e-mail forum with me, sent in recipes in different categories and we compiled a cookbook.
I decided to count those down!
Why?

Because  one night I was looking thru the cookbook and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog"
The Handyman--who thinks he knows me better than I know myself, said,  "you'll never EVER do that."
Well,  maybe I will!  Maybe I'll show him!

Which brings me to recipes #153
 My Favorite Mother-in-law's Crock Pot Meatloaf



Even tho whenever I take a photo of 'meat', it ends up looking like Pac Man (to me anyway), I need you to look beyond that-- and know that a meatloaf in the crockpot might seem weird to you, but it's really really good!  It was very moist and not dry.  This recipe is a good one, but I think if you have a favorite, it can be done in the crockpot too!












This is only my mother-in-law's 5th time in the cookbook countdown!  I thought it had been more than that.
You can check them all out here! (just click)

I'm going to share the funniest story I've ever heard about my mother-in-law.
The first summer that the Handyman and I were dating, his younger brother, Greg was 15.  (I was 18 and the Handyman was 25).
Greg and some buddies of his wanted to take some girls to the movie, but no one had a driver's license, so they asked Mom to do it. She said yes, of course.  She dropped them off to the late movie at 9pm and told them she'd be back at 11pm to pick them up.
She went home and towards the end of the night, fell asleep on the couch, but roused herself at about 10:45 to go down and get the kids.
She parked in front of the movie theater (the Uptown!  It was pretty cool when I was a kid! It was UPTOWN) and noticed it was raining. She thought "wow, I didn't notice any rain when I left the house and now it's pouring".  
She sat and waited a few minutes, windshield wipers going the whole time,   until the movie got out and people started leaving the theater.  Greg and his friends didn't come and didn't come.  She was starting to get a bit worried when  finally, she heard a knock on her car window.  She rolled it down and there was Greg --getting soaked by the torrential rain fall.  What the heck is he doing, she thought!
He said,  "mom, can you pull out of the sprinkler so the girls don't get wet?"

She had parked in the sprinkler and not even known!  It was not raining, but a nice warm summer night!  She was still dozy from her little nap.

It  might lose a little in the translation, but, it's just one of those family stories that makes us all laugh!

I don't have a photo of that incident, but I do have a few photos of the Handyman's siblings trying to recreate an old family photo.
(I also can't find the old family photo they are trying to recreate.  sigh.  I know I'll find it as soon as I hit publish. )

It took the Handyman and his siblings 3 times to get it right...




Well, maybe not right---they should have ditched the sunglasses.


Then they added their parents!


Finally one where everyone is looking at the camera.
Greg is to the left of his mother--just in case you're wondering who braved the sprinkler/rain to ask his mom to pull up.


Then the old switcheroo!  Take out one brother, switch parents and you have a whole other family photo!



You've all heard the  Handyman's family history,  right?
His mom and dad were married, had 5 kids, got divorced, each married someone with 3 kids and each had another child.
So---13 siblings is the count for Rich. AKA The Handyman.
This is  just a sampling.

You should go  sample that  crock pot meatloaf! 
It's good!

And that is recipe #153
Only 141 left to go!


1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I love the idea of meatloaf in the crockpot. I also love the story about your mother-in-law. Carl tells a story about his aunt when they were on the beach. She told everyone not to ask to go outside because it had gotten cloudy when she had her sunglasses on.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...