Tuesday, February 15, 2011

2 new memes for me

I just found a new meme. A bookish meme.

I must be feeling bookish lately and not so much foodish (foodish? Cookish?)
But it sounded like fun, so I thought I'd give it a try!


It's Tuesday, Where Are You? is a meme hosted by An Adventure in Reading. The object is to tell us about the book you are reading by describing where you are fictionally.


Let me see..... right now I am extremely poor and living with a group of friends or acquaintances in an abandoned house on a certain street in a small town on the coast of central California. Our street is lined with fisheries. It's during the depression and we are living by our wits, which sometimes doesn't turn out to be so good. I am the leader of my group and we want to do something nice for Doc, a man who has helped us all at certain times.


I am in Monterrey CA, the setting for John Steinbecks, Cannery Row. I am reading this book for my book club "the Lit Wit's".
*****************************************************************************

Another new meme I found is
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.
This week we're being asked to list our Top Ten Love Stories.


This was a bit difficult for me.  I looked at everyone else's lists before posting mine.  There was a ton of Jane Austen and a lot of Vampire Love going on.  Some Harry Potter and Ginny  Weasley, and again, lots of Austen.   But it says "our" Top Ten.  'MY' Top Ten.  Mine.  Love Stories that spoke to me.

So, here goes.

1. Mrs. Mike by  Benedict and Nancy Freedman--1949.  I didn't read it in 1949, I'm not THAT old...but I did read it in 1972 when I was in Jr. High School.  I love Mrs. Mike, the Story of Katherine Mary O'Fallen  and Royal Canadian Mounted Police Sergent Mike Flanigan set in the Canadian wilderness in the early 1900s.
It's a great book!  A great love-story.

2. Seventeenth Summer by Maureen Daly--1942.   It was my first love story, about a boy and girl who dated the summer after high school graduation, and (God forgive her) kissed on the 3rd date!!

3. Out of Africa by Isek Dinesen.   Just a beautiful book.

4. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffeneger.

5. Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Laud Montgomery.  I don't need to say a thing, do I?

6. Bridget Jones Diary by Helen Fielding.  I actually read the book.  And I liked it.   Just the way it was.

7-10.  I am not going to lump all romances together, but a lot of mystery books with recurring characters together.   Stephanie Plum and Joe Morelli/Ranger books by Janet Evanovich.  Tess Monaghan and Crow by Laura Lippman.  Deborah Knott and Dwight Bryant by Margaret Maron, Claire Ferguson and Russ Van Alstyne by Julia-Spencer Fleming.
It's been fun to watch these relationships grow over the course of many books.

In closing, I've decided that I'm really going to have to read "The Princess Bride" because it turned up on a lot of  lists.  A LOT OF LISTS.  I've seen the movie many times, but never have I read the book.

One more for the TBR pile.

 

4 comments:

Carol said...

Must check out those memes.

great posting

carol

bermudaonion said...

I would have a lot of trouble coming up with 10 love stories too!

raidergirl3 said...

Hey, glad you joined in. I haven't done this one in a while, but maybe I'll start posting every Tuesday again.

Love Anne and Gilbert and Bridget and Mark Darcy. Favorite books!

Sharon said...

I truly enjoy Steinbeck, I just discovered this in the last few years. I read Cannery Row last year and loved it!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...