Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Copy Cat Dinner and the Superbowl

Am I supposed to have a Superbowl food posted here?  Before Sunday?  Really?  Dang.  How about a Superbowl book to read between the commercials, before Sunday?
Yes, I did say  "between the commercials".  I love those (commercials), and while I am also a football liker, I'm not a football lover, so I don't have to keep both eyes glued to the TV.  The party is great, the food is great and the company is great....but do you want to know a secret?  If it were the Handyman and I alone on Superbowl Sunday, I'd make some nachos, open my book and read while he watched the game.  And we would both be happy.

And a great Game Day Book?  Janet Evonovich's Stephanie Plumb books.  Yes, I know I was crabby the other day and said they were all alike---  (see here) but I got over that quickly and just finished 'Sizzlin' Sixteen', a very fun read.
The SP books are quick, fun, and you fall in love with all the characters.  Simple enough to read and watch the big game at the same time.

I do need to make an appetizer for the big game on Sunday--we are going to friends--I guess I better search the food blog world for some great ideas!





Last night I made a copycat dinner.
I made dinner from Brenda's Canadian Kitchen.

You can go to her blog to check out the recipes. (and that way I don't have to write them all out--I hate that part about posting   -grins- )

I can tell you that  both the Jucy Lucy Burgers and the 'Lime in the Coconut' Frosted Cheesecake bars, were really good!!
(my toasted coconut on top was REALLY toasted.  But it was REALLY good too)
(I am laughing at myself because I just went to Brenda's blog and her  bars were very nice looking and mine are all crusty on top---a bit too much toasting?  but it's the taste that counts.  Check  out her bars!)


We liked the garlic toast as "the bun" too, for these burgers.  I sent the Handyman to the store once again, and once again he called me once he was there, "are you sure we don't need buns?" he asked.
And I used cheddar, because I had it at home.

So now....go check out Brenda's site for all the details and make your own
copy cat dinner.
It was very good!


Lime in the Coconut Cheesecake Bars

Cookie Base

1
pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® sugar cookie mix
2
tablespoons Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1/3
cup butter or margarine, softened
1
egg, slightly beaten

Filling

2
packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
1
can (16 oz) cream of coconut (not coconut milk)
3
tablespoons lime juice
1
teaspoon vanilla
2
eggs

Topping

1
container (12 oz) Betty Crocker® Whipped cream cheese frosting
1 1/4
cups coconut, toasted
2
teaspoons grated lime peel
  • 1Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, stir cookie base ingredients until soft dough forms. Press evenly in bottom of pan. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 15 minutes.
  • 2Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat cream cheese with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in cream of coconut until well blended. Beat in lime juice, vanilla and 2 eggs until smooth. Spread over cookie base.
  • 3Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until set and light golden brown on edges. Cool 30 minutes at room temperature. Refrigerate 1 hour to cool completely.
  • 4Carefully spread frosting over filling. Sprinkle with coconut and lime peel. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Store covered in refrigerator.
    ********************************
    INGREDIENTS
    • 4 slices American cheese (about 3 ounces)
    • 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck (15 to 20 percent fat content), chilled
    • 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • Vegetable oil, for oiling the grill
    • 4 (4-inch) hamburger buns, split and toasted
    • Sliced pickles, for serving
    • Combine ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, and pepper in a large bowl; mix well. Form 8, thin patties from the beef. Each patty should be slightly larger than a slice of cheese.
    • Cut each slice of American cheese into 4 equal pieces; stack the pieces. Sandwich one stack of cheese between 2 ground beef patties. Tightly pinch edges together tightly seal the cheese within the meat. Repeat with the remaining cheese and patties.
    • Preheat a cast-iron or other heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat. Cook burgers until well browned, about 4 minutes. It is common for burgers to puff up due to steam from the melting cheese. Turn burgers and prick the top of each to allow steam to escape; cook until browned on the outside and no longer pink on the inside; about 4 minutes. Serve on hamburger buns.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed them Debbie! They look REALLY good with all that goeey cheese. Isn't garlic bread a great "bun" for burgers? I'm still mad I don't have a snow day today.....I'll be grumpy all day now.

bermudaonion said...

Those burgers look incredible! I love football, but on the college level, so I'd be reading on Sunday if I could as well.

Karen said...

I haven't had anything coconut in a loooong time! These bars look super good and that hamburger must've been yummy!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...