Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Meatloaf Hoagies



The Handyman and I like sandwiches, altho you might not be able to tell by my blog, since I have never posted about a sandwich.  Well the time has come for me to make amends and tell you about a great little meatloaf sandwich.  I found this recipe in  the 2007  April/May issue of Taste of Home Magazine, sent in by Connie Boucher  of  Dixon, Missouri.
(weird---Boucher was the last name of my first boyfriend  )

Meatloaf is probably one of those sandwiches that you either love or hate. There is no in between.   I love cold meatloaf sandwiches, so I usually make extra when we have meatloaf just for that reason.  The  Handyman is not fond of meatloaf for  supper.  He'll eat it, and when our boys were young, they loved it, so....I made it--he had to eat it,   but what we (and yes, him.  He does like cold meatloaf sandwiches ) were really looking forward to was lunch the next day.  
I won't try to sway you one way or the other---meatloaf is what it is.

And while  we liked this Hoagie for supper, it too,  was even better the next day, cold on white bread for lunch. 
Too bad that my pictures, when I looked at them the next day, were not 'better' also.   I got great shots of the pickles and the potato chips.




Cheeseburger Meat Loaf Hoagies

1 egg lightly beaten
1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
1 cup quick cooking oats
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 to 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/3 cups mayonnaise
2 tbsp ketchup
2 medium tomatoes, sliced  
8 slices cheese
8 bacon strips --cooked and halved
8 hoagie buns--split and toasted

In a large bowl, combine the egg, tomato sauce, oats, onion, salt and pepper.  Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.  Press evenly into an ungreased 13x9x2 inch baking dish.
Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for  30-35 minutes or until no pink remains.  Drain off grease.
Combine mayonnaise and ketchup; spread over meat loaf.  Cut into eight rectangles; top each with tomatoes, cheese and bacon.  Place on baking sheet; broil 3-4 inches from the heat for 2-3 minutes or  until cheese is melted.
Serve on buns.
8 sandwiches.



In other news, I understand that today the Oxford English Dictionary has 'okay'ed'   the word  (or use of )  LOL.
Many times I have been tempted to 'lol' in a blog post, but I have held off.  But now?  Be warned --according to Facebook,  LOL is my most used word on my status updates.  (sigh) I need a new word.  Especially now that LOL has become so passe` and conventional.

5 comments:

Lyndas recipe box said...

Love, love love meatloaf, and meatloaf sandwiches as well Debbie.
Next time I'll try them this way cuz bacon makes everything better-right!

Anonymous said...

Meatloaf sandwiches are one of my favourites and one sandwich I haven't posted on my blog yet. I make meatloaf JUST to make sandwiches. It's the only way we eat it. Yum!

Michelle B said...

I'm not a meatloaf sandwich type of girl. But my mother in law adores them. She's also ga-ga about cheese. This is perfect to pass on to her. She'll love it!

Karen said...

These look yummy. I like meatloaf hot for dinner, or sliced and grilled for sandwiches.

bermudaonion said...

My husband loves cold meatloaf sandwiches, but me, not so much. I bet he'd love this sandwich too.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...