Saturday, March 5, 2011

Snapshot Saturday

I live in the high desert, in Nevada.

Here's the thing about  the desert....it's really different than people think it is.
It's not just flat and sand. If you are driving thru the state, you probably think...'oh my gosh...it's so....dry and barren and... (say it--I won't get mad.) ugly'.
But it's not.  One just has to get off the beaten path  (or interstate 80 as the case may be)  and there are so many surprises to be found.  There is beauty in the desert.  You just have to have the eyes to look for it. 

A few weeks ago,  I did  a Snapshot Saturday of  a dry lake bed here, which is maybe what people think of when they think of a desert,  but if you head in a different direction, just a few miles you can see this....



Of course a few miles in the west is different than a few miles in the east.
This is probably  60-70 miles --as the crow flies---from the dry lake bed.

I am joining up with  Alyce from At Home With Books for her fabulous Snapshot Saturday!

11 comments:

Trish said...

Wow, that really is beautiful! There's something to be said about the road less traveled.

bermudaonion said...

You're right - I picture sand and cactus when I think of the desert. Wow, that's stunning!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I wish we had places like that around here....

Bev Hankins said...

what a gorgeous shot! I love it.

thanks for stopping by my snapshot.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I agree...there's a lot of beauty in the desert. I love the "high desert."

In California's Mohave Desert, the Joshua Trees are amazing.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Beautiful snapshot! It looks rugged but beautiful. Love all the different colors. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books

Sassy B. said...

Now that's "big west" scenery. Love desertscapes.

Simcha said...

I live in the desert in Israel and while some people find it desolate and barren I think it's beautiful and can't imagine living anywhere else. There are so many different shades of color in the sand and the rocks and in the winter a green bed of moss unfurls on the mountains adding a some temporary greenery to the landscape.

Anonymous said...

I have been to the high desert in the western US a few times and I find it fascinating. I also find a lot of beauty in my green (in summer) and grey and white (in winter) part of the world. It's a beautiful planet :-)

Karen said...

That's a great picture. I love the desert. WTH am I doing in Montana???

Alyce said...

That is stunning! I would definitely blow that up and hang it on my wall, but then I love the Nevada desert (at least looking at it that is). :)

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...