Sunday, March 6, 2011

Peanut Salsa for Cookbook Sundays



Yes, you read that correct--Peanut Salsa---DON'T click off this post just because you think it sounds funny.
Trust me.

I found this recipe in an annual Taste of Home cookbook.  The Taste of Home recipes have been tried and tested and found worthy before they are printed and sent to me.  So, if you don't trust me....if the sound of Peanut Salsa turns you off....at least trust Taste of  Home.



Okay.  Are  we good now?

Last week I was going to a little wine tasting party.  We participate in this once a month and it's always a  lot of fun.  If you attend, you bring a bottle of wine and an appetizer.  Believe it or not, sometimes the appetizer is harder to choose than the wine.  I knew it was getting close to the monthly Cookbook Sundays hosted by Brenda's Canadian Kitchen, so I grabbed one of my seldom used (and never for Cookbook Sundays or my own  Cookbook Countdown ) cookbooks and started looking for a good and unique appetizer.
I found it in--Peanut Salsa.  The second recommendation  (the first being in a Taste of Home) was that not 1, not 2, but 3 people asked me for this recipe.  I think that means it's a hit.
It had a really unique flavor, we liked it very much.

Before you go on to read the recipe, just let me tell you one more thing...which is that in a Plains (Georgia) Peanut Festival, former President Jimmy Carter gave first place to this salsa.  That's right--FIRST PLACE.
So, just try it.  You'll like it.


Georgia Peanut Salsa
from the  2008 Taste of Home Annual Recipes
Lane McCloud-Siloam Springs, Arkansas

3 plum tomatoes seeded and chopped
1 jar (8oz ) picante sauce  (I doubled this)
1 can white corn, drained
1/3 cup Italian salad dressing
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
4 green onions, sliced thinly
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 cups salted roasted peanuts OR boiled peanuts  (I used salted-roasted)
hot pepper sauce -optional
Tortilla chips

In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
Just before serving, stir in peanuts and pepper sauce if desired. 
Serve with tortilla chips.

It's really quite good!




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debbie, if Jimmy Carter gave this first prize, it must be good, lol! I actually think it sounds good, I would like the crunchiness of the peanuts. Crunch isn't something salsa usually has. Thanks a bunch for sharing this with Cookbook Sundays!

Karen said...

I don't really care too much for peanuts, but I think the crunch and salty factor in this salsa might be good!

bermudaonion said...

I would so try that with boiled peanuts!!

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Stopping by from Cookbook Sundays, to say hello and let you know this looks delicious! This caught my eye with the added peanuts, thanks for sharing.

Michelle B said...

Sounds good to me! One of my husband's favorites is a Thai chicken dish with salsa and peanut butter w/ chopped peanut garnish.

No need for Juimmy Carter or Taste of Home's opinions. I trust yours just fine, Debbie :)

justjoycee said...

Looks and sounds good to me.....

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...