Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 4 of AudioBook Week



Day 4 of AudioBook Week bring us to....this topic....

Whether you just started listening or have a long history with audiobooks, you probably have some suggestions for those new to audio whether for narrators, titles, or ways to experience the medium. Write a post, make a list, get creative.

My advice?  Try, try again. 
I am on only my 5th audio book, but am loving it. I love the narrator, Cassandra Campbell, and I love the story, Lucia Lucia and I love the author, Adriana  Trigiani.

But my first audio book, I didn't love.  In fact, I didn't finish it.  It was  'The Tower, The Zoo and The Tortise' by  Julia Stuart.  It got good reviews... but I just bought it because.... because.....    just because.  (it is still on my Mp3 player, so maybe I 'll start it again someday).   I didn't do enough "thinking."  Thinking what kind of books I like, thinking of  how much money I was spending for one book (there  are many ways that are not expensive, but I didn't know that at the time), thinking of how long of a book I was choosing.
These are probably things to consider if you are brand new to audio.

I put off downloading any more books for quite some time, but by reading many blog posts by enthusiastic  reader/listeners, I thought I'd give it a second try and I downloaded "the Weird Sisters"  and I loved it. 

I've loved audio books every since.  Maybe it was all in the timing.

So besides  try, try again.... and since I'm really too new at this to help out much,  my advice would be to  go visit Jen at Devourer of Books today and check out the Mr. Linky.  All these great book bloggers love audio, and they have TONS of suggestions and advice for you. TONS of enthusiasm about audio love!  Tons of ideas if you are new!

Go.  Do it now.  Click the link.   Don't waste anymore time here.  Good Audio awaits you.

See you tomorrow.

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I can't wait to see how you end up liking Lucia, Lucia when you're done. Adriana Trigiani is one of my favorite authors and it's my favorite of all of her books. You need to keep tissues handy!!

Jen - devourer of books said...

Don't feel bad about not liking THE TOWER... I didn't like it in print, either.

kathy said...

Debbie, thanks for dropping by my blog! I so agree with the try again. I had one once where it was an American trying to do Scottish and other European accents. It was a mess. Thankfully the rest have been good. :)
Also, I saw on your blog that you're in Winnemucca. Too funny, that's where I was in Nevada last week! It was sort of the halfway point to where I was going, but I'll bet that's true for a lot of people who stop there.

Leslie (Under My Apple Tree) said...

Audiobooks were an acquired taste for me too. It took several attempts with different types of books but now I love them.

I read The Tower and liked it for it's quirkiness, but I don't think it would make a great audiobook.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...