Monday, September 28, 2015

Friday Friend Recipe #76--Son in law Sauce. Spaghetti Sauce #5

 
  
Friday Friend Recipe #76: Spaghetti Sauce #5, Son-in-law Sauce
Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.
What is the Friday Friend cookbook: I have about 50 of my closest friends and family on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends (from all over the county). At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 15 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions, exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts, had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday.
 
AND, we contributed recipes for a cookbook.
 
I was looking at the cookbook the other night and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog."
The Handyman--who knows me better than I know myself (this happened to be a question on the Friday Friend forum once---does your spouse/partner know you better than you know yourself?)--said,  "you'll never, EVER do that."

WELL---maybe I'll show him!  Maybe I will.
 
Which brings me to this... recipe #76
 
My Mom's (Bev's)
Son-in-law Sauce, Spaghetti Sauce #5
 


This is the spaghetti sauce that I grew up with.
My mom never mixed her sauce with her noodles, she always had two huge bowls on the table, one for noodles and one for sauce.
I love this sauce.
It reminds me of family dinners when I was growing up.  We always ate at the table as a family and we always had lively discussion.




Fresh fruit is not what you usually see beside a dish of spaghetti and red sauce, but what the heck. It sounded good at the time.


 
I am not sure why my mom called this her "son-in-law' sauce.
I just asked the Handyman.
me:  do you know why my mom called her spaghetti sauce "son-in-law" sauce?
Handyman:  No. Why?
 
It wasn't that kind of question Handyman.
You were supposed to TELL ME.
 
My mom is gone, so I cannot ask her, but I think she would always say, this is the sauce my son-in-law likes.
(but she had been making it for years before he came along.  She always did like him a lot!)
 
I am not going to write out the recipe, because for one thing you can see most of it in the picture below and another thing--she didn't measure her spices.
Ever!
So, there is really no way to figure this one out.
 
 
Does anyone ever really go by directions in making spaghetti sauce?
Don't we all add garlic salt, Italian seasoning, etc, until we think it tastes right?
I learned that from my mom!


 So that is Spaghetti Sauce #5 (out of 20-something)
 
This is my mom's 10th recipe in the countdown!
 
And now for her story for today.
Um... above, I mentioned lively discussion at the dinner table?
When I was growing up, I felt I could ask my parents anything --- especially words I didn't know.
Once when I was in the 7th or 8th grade,  I asked my mom what masturbation meant.  At the dinner table!
 
I SAID THAT WORD ON A BLOG!!! 
OMG!
I can't believe I just did that.
 
But I didn't know what it meant.  I wanted to know.
I probably saw that word in a magazine--Seventeen or Teen or something.
I have no idea.
BUT--I do know we were eating stew--because my dad began to choke on a turnip.
 
I have to give my mom credit---for not killing me?  For letting me think I really could ask anything.
Even at the dinner table.
Of course  I remember this line from our family dinners: (it was used ALL THE TIME)
We'll talk about that AFTER supper, Debbie.
 
Funny, I don't remember any of those 'after dinner' conversations--- I just remember my dad spitting out stew.
 
 
My mom (and dad), little did she know what she was in for with me.
(oh...and that's the last time I ever ironed )
 

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Hm, I think I'm going to add olives to my sauce the next time I make it.

We had lively dinner conversations as well. I can remember my sister and I talking about our periods while we ate dinner - my poor dad never said a word about it.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...