Tuesday, September 8, 2015

We Were Liars

From Goodreads:
A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart. 

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.

From Me:
3 stars.
I liked the book, but I had it figured out from the beginning.
When it all comes together at the end it should have been  traumatic (for me) and WILL be traumatic for you.
I like the idea of friendship stories and long summers at the beach and mysteries.
This book had all of that.
I was just so disappointed in myself!  No one else at book club had figured it out so for them...it blew their minds.  
Okay, maybe it wasn't that dramatic, but it surprised them.
We read this for my Totally Lit book club and  most everyone loved it.
I was curious to see how the others would react to a YA book, as we had never read one before.   I always like to sneak one in here and there, but wasn't sure what to expect from book club.
I think we all put ourselves back in that teenage angst, but had an adult perspective, so it was easy to understand why the characters made the mistakes they made.
I was proud to my fellow book-clubbers to not just say "phfffttt!  Teens are so stupid" and to really try to  understand what was going on inside that teenage mind.

Like I said--- a bit disappointing for me, as I had it figured out.
Did anyone else?


2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Everyone was raving about this book but I felt the same way you did. It was good, but not great.

JoAnn said...

You figured it out at the beginning?? I'm impressed.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...