Friday, September 25, 2015

Friday Friend Appendix #8 -- Grandma Mildred's Lemon Sherbet


Friday Friend Appendix #8 -- Grandma Mildred's Lemon Sherbet



For the 3 of you who read this blog, you will remember that I have a homemade cookbook, which we will call The Friday Friend Cookbook, complete with recipes sent in by my good friends, far and near.  I call them the Friday Friends.
 
And I am in the process of making every single recipe in that cookbook and blogging about it  (See that here) and then talking mostly about my friends, and not so much about the recipe, because, let's face it--I like them a lot!
Anyway,  this recipe should have been in that cookbook, but wasn't.
 
I am adding this as an appendix to the "official Friday Friend  Cookbook"
(much to the chagrin of the publisher/typer upper Barbara Brown)
(she's afraid I'm going to make her type up a whole new cookbook.  Volume #2! )


(those recipes which should have been in the Friday Friend Cookbook, but weren't)

Deb E's 
Grandma Mildred's Lemon Sherbet


 
This is the best!
I needed something to go along with the pound cake I made yesterday. 
All summer long my good friend Debbie E (she hates that Debbie E!  But my name is Debbie too, so??   Isn't that how they did it in elementary school?),  talked about  her mother-in-law's lemon sherbet recipe.
She made it a lot this summer.
It got in my head like  song.
I just had to make it.
 
It was wonderful!
It's tangy!  And it's creamy.
We loved it.



Grandma Mildred's Lemon Sherbet
FF Debbie Engstrom
Winnemucca, NV
 
2 cups sugar
Juice of 3 lemons (1/2 cup)
Quart of whole milk
1/2 pint whipping cream
 
Mix sugar, lemon and milk.
Stir in whipping cream
Put in freezer, stir every so often (couple hours) until it's ice cream!
(only takes 6 hours or so)
(if you make it in the morning, you can have it for dessert that night)



 
This is Debbie's  13th time in the countdown---or the appendix.
AAAAnnndd....  her other great costumes!  She is always up for a costume party!
And just last weekend, we had our cooking club---where she donned a coconut bra?
Kudos to her husband Charlie too--he's always game for a costume!
 
Debbie is our country recorder and there was  a convention this week for all elected officials in the state.
One dinner was held at the automobile museum and it was a 1940's theme.




Look at my cute friends!!
Gina, Debbie and Tami.
You'd think it was 1940 or something.


 
And that my friends is appendix #8.
My story!
 
 
 

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Really, sherbet is that easy to make? I need to try this!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...