Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Mexican Salad, Cookbook Countdown #81 and Cookbook Wednesday!


It's Cookbook Wednesday!
This is my 81st cookbook.



As  I said the last time I posted a cookbook for the countdown,  
this isn't even making a dent in my collection.
And it's #81!
This will keep me busy until I die. (posting from each cookbook)
I'm so glad I have a purpose in life!  A goal!  I can never give up!

Then swing on over to Marjie  host of Modern Day Ozzie and Harriet to see other Cookbook enthusiasts. 
She's hosting for now, while Louise is on a break. (Hey Louise!)
For this week's countdown, I used this cookbook: 


Here's a short paragraph/description from Goodreads:
Trisha believes a recipe always tastes better when it has a memory attached to it. Here, she teams up with her mother and sister to share their family’s best-loved recipes. This is the kind of classic comfort food you’ll want at the heart of your own family’s mealtime memories. Inside is a full menu of Southern fare with a contemporary twist. But you don’t have to be a Southerner to enjoy Yearwood family favorites such as:

Trisha’ s Chicken Tortilla Soup
Gwen’s Fried Chicken with Milk Gravy
Stuffed Pork Chops
Breakfast Sausage Casserole
Blackberry Cobbler
Banana Pudding

Along with the recipes for inviting soups, textural salads, home-style family entrées, colorful side dishes, and irresistible desserts, Trisha shares everything from charming personal anecdotes to practical advice, time-saving tips, and creative ingredient substitutions to accommodate all tastes.
*****************

Let me just say,  I do love Trisha Yearwood.
I love to watch her cooking show. I love how she has her family there to help her. Sometimes she has her friends, sometimes her husband.
There is singing and stories and-- I just love it.
And her recipes?   They are really good.  Most of them we have made for years (that we, includes YOU reader), because they are simple everyday meals like your mom prepared, but watching Trisha do it, is just a treat. 
This week I made her "Mexican Salad".
To be perfectly honest, it wasn't my favorite.  It tasted great, don't get me wrong -- I  just felt like I was eating Cowboy Caviar or Black Bean Salsa, but I LOVE Cowboy Caviar and Black Bean Salsa, so go figure that one out! 
I added a layer of romaine lettuce, Trisha does not do that.
Do not let me sway you tho--this might be the thing for you!  It was good, but more of an appetizer to be eaten with chips in my opinion.
Her Chicken Tortilla Soup tho?  To  Die For!! 
 


Mexican Salad
Trisha Yearwood

1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
1 15oz can whole kernel corn, drained
1 8oz jar chopped pickled jalapenos, drained
2 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese
2 T chopped cilantro
1 lime, cut into wedges
1 bag of corn chips

In  a large bowl, combine the beans, tomatoes, corn and jalapenos and mix well. 

Spread one third of the bean mixture in the bottom of a bowl.  Sprinkle with one-half of the shredded cheese. Top with  half the remaining bean mixture and all but 1/4 cup of the cheese.  Layer beans and cheese again.
Sprinkle the cilantro on top.
Serve with lime wedges and chips for the scooping up the salad.




Because it says salad... I added a little  romaine lettuce on the bottom of the bowl, and I also mixed it up before serving... so the chips got mixed in.
I should have read the directions more carefully.
We WERE supposed to 'scoop up'!  Just like Cowboy Caviar.

Whether you do this dish as a salad or an appetizer,  it's good.
And Healthy!



Just making my way thru this...
(there's more--- just want to ease you in gently)



I am linking up with  Weekend  Cooking hosted at



4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I think I've had that at a friend's house.

Susan Lindquist said...

My sister-in-law makes this salad for every summertime barbecue party ... it's always gone at the end of the afternoon! Golly, you have a lot of cook books!

Beth F said...

So pretty and colorful! Perfect for summer.

Tina said...

Oh my, your bookshelf looks like mine! I too am going through them but lost momentum in my countdown. Yeah, a big L on my forehead!!

I like Yearwood's cookbooks and have her most recent one.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...