Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Misery RAL

From Goodreads:
Misery Chastain was dead. Paul Sheldon had just killed her - with relief, with joy. Misery had made him rich; she was the heroine of a string of bestsellers. And now he wanted to get on to some real writing. 

That's when the car accident happened, and he woke up in pain in a strange bed. But it wasn't the hospital. Annie Wilkes had pulled him from the wreck, brought him to her remote mountain home, splinted and set his mangled legs. 

The good news was that Annie was a nurse and has pain-killing drugs. The bad news was that she was Paul's Number One Fan. And when she found out what Paul had done to Misery, she didn't like it. She didn't like it at all.

From Me:
I had read this book years ago, but decided to join in the fun with Care's Online Book Club as she hosted a Read-a-long (#miseryRAL)  for Stephen King's book:
MISERY.
I had a lot of fun, but I'll get into that in a minute.

I had forgotten how CREEPY Annie Wilkes is!!!
Creepy!
With a capitol C!
It was a great King classic!
Ominous and horrible and twisted!
(I am over using the !  I know, but I can't help it.  I'm trying to get a point across on how--Stephen Kingish it was!)

I listened to this on audio and I know that some of the others in the RAL weren't impressed with the narration, but it worked fine for me.  
The story within a story (because Annie Wilkes makes Paul Sheldon write another Misery Chastain novel)  Eh.  That's never been a big draw for me, but it too, worked okay in this great novel.

Because I am late in writing my round-up,  I had the pleasure of reading every one else's reviews/opinions and I also noticed that their is mention of King's struggle with his endings.
I'm with you there #miseryRAL sisters!
I  have felt the same way in some of his books.
Also, they say the movie has a better ending than the book too.  I'll have to re-watch that sometime this summer.
As far as suspense tho, I feel this book far outweighs any King book that I've read so far.

At the first of the month, I had fun Tweeting  (#miseryRAL) every once in a while, but let's face it....I'm old.
(not really, but I figure if I say it enough now, it won't be so bad when it happens in a couple of years*)
And social media-- well, I could make a ton of excuses about why I'm not any good, but really--you don't care, do you?

So, let me just say---that when I did join in, it was fun!
And you all were very gracious and told me,  "yeah,  you just jump in, any time'.
So, I did.
And I would do it again.
In October!
I'm excited!

As well as having a fun time, I discovered some great blogs during the #miseryRAL
That's always a good thing.


*ps-- I'm not really that old.
except to my grandchildren.  Then I'm ancient!




4 comments:

Care said...

Glad to meet you and have you join in on the Kingalong festivites!
Twitter is the MOST fun when you have someone to chat to with. Feel free to tweet at me anytime - don't wait until October.

bermudaonion said...

I need to join in on one of these readalongs but with King, I'm too chicken.

Laurie C said...

I liked the audiobook narration, too, but didn't like the music to mark the chapter breaks. I think that's something that used to be done more often in audiobooks, so it's just a sign of the book's age! I liked the story within a story, but when I switched over to the print from the audio, I saw that it was all printed in a font to make it look like the actual manuscript with the Ns written in by hand, etc. You miss that in the audiobook! I didn't tweet much until the end of the readalong, either, and most everyone was done with the book by then!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I've never made it through a scary Stephen King book. Too scary!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...