Monday, May 25, 2015

Food 'n Flix, Friday Friend Recipe #53, and Chocolate Chip Cookie #15




Food 'n Flix is a group of bloggers who get together every month to watch a movie, and then head into the kitchen and mix up something inspired by the flick. 
There is always room for another pillow in front of the tellie, and another chair around the table. So if you're a blogger who wants to join in the fun, please feel free to jump in at any moment.
 May's Flick was chosen by Heather from Girlichef.   She has chosen The Goonies.
 
Now, the Goonies actually holds a soft spot in my heart. I did not grow up in the 80's... BUT, my kids did.  This was one of their 'watch, over and over and over' films.   I love thinking back on winter afternoons, when my little boys--were LITTLE, and we would pop popcorn and settle down to watch this.
VHS!  Rented!
And then we pirated it and taped it from one VHS player to another, so we could watch it whenever we wanted.
(I'll probably go to prison now.  Or hell.)
We were rebels.
A few years ago, I ordered the movie to stick in their Christmas stockings.
And then just last month, I sat down with my 6 year old grandchildren to re-watch it.
(which probably wasn't a great idea.  Don't tell their parents.  It had more bad words than I remembered. )
It's still a great movie! Filled with numerous food inspirations, which brings me back to this blog post.
 


When you watch the movie (because OF COURSE you've seen the movie, right?  It's a classic!), do you ever notice how many times the characters are shoving potato chips in their mouths?
Well, I did... it happens right off the bat, when they start gathering in Mikey's house.
So I got to thinking that my friend Debbie, made some chocolate chip cookies with potato chips, called Chocolate Crunchies.


Well, it turns out her recipe had cornflakes in it, but I was still thinking,  sweet and salty and crunchy.
Yeah..it could work.
I'll give it a try--substitute potato chips for the cornflakes. 

If you look close, you can see the potato chips in the cookies.
For full disclosure--I did half and half--potato chips AND cornflakes.

I think these are a treat Chunk would have loved!  

 
 Chocolate Crunchies
Inspired by the Goonies
and my friend (a Friday Friend, no less), Debbie Engstrom
Winnemucca, NV

 Sift together:
3 1/2 cups flour
3 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Blend together:
1 cup butter
1 egg
1 T milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar

Add 1 cup oil alternately with flour mixture.

Stir in:
1 cup cornflakes
OR
1 cup crumbled potato chips
OR
half of each
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup chocolate chips

Bake at 375 for 10 minutes. 

 

*on Youtube, there is a video of  
all things wrong with the Goonies in under 8 minutes.
It's kind of funny to watch, because YES, there are many improbable situations and inconsistencies, but that is beside the point.
Fun movie!!
Brings back good memories.


Stop now!
If you just came for Food 'n Flix, that is.
The rest is just my junk.
but...it's not bad junk.
In fact, it's kind of interesting!
Junk is a relative term.
It's important junk to me.

Those Friday Friends are like that---important to me!

(sigh) Read on if you must... 
   

********************
I am linking this up to my Chocolate Chip Cookie Countdown.
It is #15.
As for the cookie---it really is a great one.
In my 15 tries, I haven't really found a bad one. Some I like more than others, of course---this one would go in the top category.  It has a nice crunch and because it has oil it is soft too.

*****************

And because  I am making every single recipe in my Friday Friend Cookbook 
(like Julie and Julia)
I am killing two birds with one stone here... Or 3.
Anyway....



Friday Friend Recipe #53Chocolate Crunchies 

Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.

What is the Friday Friend cookbook:   I have about 50 of my closest friends and family on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends (from all over the county).  At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 15 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions,  exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts,  had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday.

AND,  we contributed recipes for a cookbook.
Which brings me to this... recipe #53

Debbie E's
Chocolate Crunchies Cookies


 It was a cold and gray rainy afternoon.

 

And I thought it good to watch a movie and make cookies.
I bought my huge box of Kellogg's Corn Flakes....


Added them, AND the potato chips!



 
And my best Tuesday morning friend--wait!  I didn't add her too, but thought of her while I made her recipe.
(we just has coffee this 6am, cuz she's on her way to New York tomorrow)
Debbie Engstrom!
(I KNOW all you bloggers know that, but I have to put that because none of my Friday Friends have a blog nor do they know anything about them)
This is her 8th recipe to date, but her 9th appearance in the Friday Friend Blog!
 
Here is her story/fact for the day---and it's fitting on Memorial Day:
 
She and her husband Charlie are huge history lovers/buffs.
Here they are during a Nevada Day Celebration in Carson City, NV
Our state's motto is:  Battle Born
We became a state during the Civil War.



But the other thing is...tying into Memorial Day....
She has two sons-in-law, who are officers in the Army.

One, Kyle,  has already served a tour of duty in Afghanistan.
He is home now, stationed in New York.  Just gave Debbie her 5th grandchild.
And she is headed there tomorrow!


But this goofy guy, is also her son in law, an officer in the Army.
John.
He was deployed 3 weeks ago -- to Afghanistan.
(he's married to the goofy girl in the photo.   They now have a 2 month old son.) 

 She is happy to be known for her
Chocolate Crunchies, 
but I  know
that she would be most happy if
we kept all military  men and women as well as their families in our prayers.
And thank them all the time for their service and sacrifice.

Happy Memorial Day 2015!







8 comments:

Kathy Walker said...

Loved your post...is it almost like using the same paper for two classes? :-) I really need to jump in with the cookbook marathon that you are running!

Heather S-G said...

These are perfect inspiration from The Goonies! I'm happy that you chose those potato chips as inspiration, I contemplated that, too. Now, I think I need to whip up a batch for the fam, they would love them (me, too)! :)

bermudaonion said...

I've never seen The Goonies and just asked Vance if he has and he hasn't either. I'm thinking we might be deported or something now.

Kimberly said...

Brilliant! Potato chips in cookies, would never have thought about it, but now I think I need to try it.

Amy said...

Those cookies look delicious! I'm sure Chunk & the grandkids would approve!

A Day in the Life on the Farm said...

It must be a trend....you are the 3rd post I have read that has taken care of 3 challenges with their Food n Flix recipe this month. Your cookies sound delicious.

Debra Eliotseats said...

Great way to cover all your bases with one post! You are so funny. I doubt you go to prison (or hell) and I promise not to tell your kids that the grandchildren saw the movie!

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

Love a post that kills several birds in one shot! Awesome cookies! Love the mix of salt and sweet! And I cannot remember the last time i heard of pirating VHS tapes lol.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...