Sunday, April 26, 2009

Ham and Bean Soup for Souper Sunday


A few weeks ago, the my husband cleaned out our big freezer in the garage. And while he cleaned, I vowed to use up items we already have available, which included two leftover hams from previous meals.
I've had this soup in my notebook for sometime. It's one given to me from my friend Mitzi, who is a great cook.
This soup tho? It's the easiest one I've ever made. And good? Mmmmmm.....yep. I love to collect recipes from my friends.
We've moved a lot over the years, so it makes me feel close to them when I make their dishes. Before e-mail and blogging, I was a devout "letter writer" and it seemed that when I started cooking, I would have an old friend's handwritten recipe card and letter started to them on the counter at the same time.
It's sad to me sometimes, to think that "handwritten" notes, letters and yes...recipe cards will soon be a thing of the past.

Just a quick little post today, as it is Sunday and I want to get this off to Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sunday Round-up.
If you have a good soup recipe, you should join the fun next week.

Then I'm off to work in the garden today.


Ham and Bean Soup

1 lb Great Northern Beans, soaked
2 cups fully cooked ham. (I used a ham with bone that I had in the freezer from an earlier meal)
2 medium carrots diced
2 celery ribs diced
1/2 onion diced
1 tsp chili powder
1 can tomato sauce
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp pepper
2 or 3 garlic cloves, minced

I placed the ham bone in water and boiled the heck out of it. Then set it aside.
Wash and sort the beans and do a quick boil method (which is on the back of the bean bag)

Shred ham meat from the bone and add back in the broth. Add beans, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, tomato sauce and seasonings.
Simmer 2-4 hours and serve.






7 comments:

Netts Nook said...

Looks like my kind of soup love using up what is in the freezer. Sounds like your babies are coming along well.

Tina Butler said...

Oh yummy this looks so good. I have a ham down for next months menu. I will have some ham leftover so I guess I will be making soup. Ü

teresa said...

Mmmm, this looks SO good, I love ham and bean soup!

Karen said...

Oh, yum! This looks so good. We've eaten a lot of soup this past winter and my favorites are ones with beans in them.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love bean soup and this one looks wonderful! Thanks for sending it to Souper Sunday. The round-up is now posted.

Lyndas recipe box said...

This is one of my favorite meals! I have a bone and some meat in the freezer that needs to be used, but it's been in the 80's this week! So, I hope we have a cool spell before summer really gets here so I can use it up.

Sherri Murphy said...

I also make those suppers where I clean out the things in the fridge, freezer, cabinets, etc. But this recipe -I'd be willing to go and PURCHASE these ingredients!

Looks PERFECT! I love bean soup!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...