Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Company's Coming and What's outside my kitchen window update



Company's Coming

I love to entertain. I love to have people over for supper. Sometimes, tho, it can feel like a chore because you usually want to make something special, to showcase your talents and to make people who are at your table feel special.

The easiest company meal I know of is:
steak
baked potato
green salad.

That is my "fast-fix" when I don't feel like working hard in the kitchen but still want to impress people.

Rib Eye steaks were on sale, so I picked some up at 3:00 on Friday afternoon....I had company coming at 6:00.


At 3:30 I made a marinade with.....



That's right. Bourbon. It's a great marinade. From this cookbook....

Weber's Real Grilling.



Bourbon-Barbecued Rib-Eye Steaks

Marinade
1/2 cup bourbon
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 bone-in rib-eye steaks, about 1 1/4 pounds each

To make the marinade: in a medium bowl, whisk the marinade ingredients. Place the steaks in a large, plastic zip-loc bag and pour in the marinade. Press out the air, seal the bag, and turn several times to coat the meat. Place the bag in a bowl and refrigerate for 1 1/2 to 2 hour, turning the bag occasionally.



Allow the steaks to stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before grilling. Remove the steaks from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Brush with olive oil.


2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon finely chopped Italian parsley

In a small bowl, mix the paprika, salt, and pepper. Press the seasonings into both sides of the meat. Grill over direct high heat until cooked to your desired done-ness, 8-10 minutes for medium steaks, turning once.
Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 3-5 minutes.
Carve the meat from the bone and discard large pieces of fat, arrange the slices on a platter, drizzle any juices over the meat.
Garnish with parsley.

I didn't slice the meat, but left the steaks whole, one for each of us--4 steaks.
I sauteed some mushrooms and topped half the steaks with the mushrooms, the other half with caramelized onions.
******

The Baked Potato
easy-peasy.
wash, cover with foil, prick with fork. Put into a 350 oven for 1 1/2 hours.

My mom always made this potato topper when we were growing up.
1 carton of sour cream
grated cheddar cheese
garlic powder or salt
green onions--sliced (I didn't use the green onions this time, but they are good. Or chives)



Mix and top! Yum. And oh-so-not-good-for-us. But once in a great while it's okay.

I cheated and bought a "bag-o-salad" but it does save on time, and some of them are pretty good.

Then, I added....

Creamed Spinach.

The Legendary "Stubbs' Bar-B-Q cookbook" says that Stubbs if famous for his creamed spinach and he always serves it with his grilled steaks.
I know it's not for everybody, but I like it.



Jalapeno Pepper-Cheese Spinach ( Stubbs uses Serrano chilies )

1 pound frozen chopped spinach
8 oz cream cheese, cut into chunks
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
1 tablespoon minced garlic
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1. cook the spinach according to package directions (do not overcook). Drain well in a colander. Press out excess water with the back of a spoon.
2. place the cream cheese, cream, jalapenos, garlic, salt and pepper in a medium saucepan. Add the spinach and stir over med-low heat until the cream cheese melts.

Serve warm.

Stubbs says that this pairs as well with fried chicken as it does with barbecue.

That was it. My dinner...Supper, whatever you call it. (no pic of salad bowl )

And some good bread and real butter. And wine.

I was done....then we just ate and talked and laughed. It was a good evening.


oh....and chocolate chip mint ice-cream. Not homemade. LOL



*********
What's outside my kitchen window update
Last week I posted a short blog about what was outside my kitchen window. I spend so much time in my kitchen and am constantly gazing out the window... it's fun to see the seasons come and go....
......but not in one week!
Easter afternoon..... Rich, the DH, and Monroe the Basset Hound enjoy the spring like weather, to do a little cleaning up the yard.



Tuesday afternoon..... It's SNOWING!!! Outside my kitchen window and outside my office!! snowflakes in the air, ice on my windshield, snow on my lawn.




But I am determined to show off Northern Nevada...right outside my kitchen window. We are not just dry and dusty, arid and hot, and dry and dusty, and hot and dry. We are not all sagebrush and catcus (Northern NV, has little to no catcus, unless you really hunt for it), so, each week, I'll post a picture from my kitchen window and you can see how our seasons change. (Hopefully not as often as they did this week. LOL )
You know, you too, can play with me every Wednesday and show me "what's outside your kitchen window." (or your dining room window, or your front door, ect)

16 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks like an amazing meal! I'd be happy to eat that anywhere :)

Shelby said...

I'm coming for dinner. ;o)

I'll have to remember to take a photo outside here!

Donna-FFW said...

What a truly amazing meal. I am so having my husband do this on the grill with this bourbon marinade, it sounds wonderful. The whole meal, just impressive, Debbie!

Netts Nook said...

Snowing outside my kitchen this morning. Can't wait to try your marinade. WOW

Lyndas recipe box said...

What a great meal! I'm drooling just looking at this screen.

Lisa said...

Delicious! That looks like one very appealing dinner.

Bourbon does have many uses. I keep finding more and more great recipes with bourbon.

teresa said...

Mmmm, I'm ennvious of the people that get to eat at your house! THis looks FANTASTIC!

Karen said...

What a great meal! I *love* mushrooms with steak... they just seem to go together. I'll play your window game... starting next week but I'll be showing how my garden grows!

E. Lee said...

I love that Weber grilling cookbook--whenever I need a little inspiration, I just crack it open and wait. The grilled acorn squash recipe is freaking AWESOME. ;)

muddywaters said...

I like the marinade and creamed-spinach recipe. I use bourbon often as a marinade, but this one seems to have a lot of flavor layers. I'm eager to try it.

I also love the Stubb's products, but I've never been to any of the restaurants. I'll need to track down the cookbook.

Thanks for sharing,
muddy

Anonymous said...

Hello all
http://www.firefoxdownloads.net/ - doxycycline without prescription
But this drug can be used in patients having renal impairment.
[url=http://www.firefoxdownloads.net/]doxycycline no prescription[/url]
It is also used as prophylaxis with patients with malarial infections and it can be used in a treatment plan in combination with other agents like quinine.
order doxycycline
But still many physicians recommend the usage of contraceptives to prevent unwanted pregancy.

Anonymous said...

I want an IPhone. How much does it cost to maintain it? Like say I want internet. How much would that cost? What plans would best suit me. I text a lot more than call and I want internet on it.
[url=http://unlockiphone22.com]unlock iphone[/url] [url=http://www.senda.nl/index.php?option=com_phocaguestbook&view=phocaguestbook&id=1&Itemid=32&limitstart=220]unlock iphone[/url]

Anonymous said...

hello everyone. I'm actually into shoes and I have been digging allowing for regarding that exact make. The prices as regards the sneakers were approximately 340 bucks on every site. But definitively I base this site selling them someone is concerned half price. I exceptionally like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably order them. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good evening fellas. I'm honestly into shoes and I have been digging for that singular make. The prices seeking the shoes were all over 240 pounds everwhere. But completely I found this site selling them for the benefit of half price. I really like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase these. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

hi everyone. I'm actually into shoes and I have been digging allowing for regarding that particular model. The prices due to the fact that the boots are approximately 220 dollars on every site. But completely I found this locate selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy them. what do you think?

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...