Saturday, January 30, 2016

Last Words

 
From Goodreads:
In March of 1975, as New York City hurtles toward bankruptcy and the Bronx burns, newsman Coleridge Taylor roams police precincts and ERs. He is looking for the story that will deliver him from obits, his place of exile at the Messenger-Telegram. Ever since he was demoted from the police beat for inventing sources, the 34-year-old has been a lost soul.

A break comes at Bellevue, where Taylor views the body of a homeless teen picked up in the Meatpacking District. Taylor smells a rat: the dead boy looks too clean, and he's wearing a distinctive Army field jacket. A little digging reveals that the jacket belonged to a hobo named Mark Voichek and that the teen was a spoiled society kid up to no good, the son of a city official.

Taylor's efforts to protect Voichek put him on the hit list of three goons who are willing to kill any number of street people to cover tracks that just might lead to City Hall. Taylor has only one ally in the newsroom, young and lovely reporter Laura Wheeler. Time is not on his side. If he doesn't wrap this story up soon, he'll be back on the obits page--as a headline, not a byline.

Last Words won the Bronze Medal for mystery/thriller ebook in the 2015 Independent Publisher Book Awards (IPPYs) and was named a Finalist in the 2015 Foreword Reviews IndieFab Book of the Year Awards. It was also a Finalist in the mystery category of the 2015 Next Generation Indie Book Awards.
 
For the record-- I don't really  review books.  I don't feel qualified, BUT I do love to talk about them and like to feel part of the book blogging world.
 
From Me:
I love a good series!  Love to get connected to the characters  and watch them grow throughout.   The setting and time are important also in a series and this one takes you right back to the mid 1970's, New York City...I grew up in the 70's, so it was fun to be transported back in time.  Loved all the references to music!
What makes a book good is when the author can make you love the characters and the setting and I feel Zahradnik does that in this series.
This Coleridge Taylor mystery is new to me, but I really liked it.  I even bought the 2nd in the series already.
3.5 stars!
 
I am adding this to my Cloak and Dagger Challenge hosted by
 
 
And the Literary Loner Challenge hosted by
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

Literary Feline said...

I am glad you enjoyed this one, Debbie. I just loved it. The author did such a good job with the time period and his characters. I hope you enjoy the second book!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...