Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Chocolate Chip Cookie #10





Another in the search for the perfect Chocolate Chip cookie.
This one made with oil.  
I thought...OIL?    What the heck!  I love the taste of butter!  I love the crispy little bite you get with butter (but am searching for that chewy center).  Who needs oil?!   (sigh)  but I was determined  to do as all recipes said.
It came together quick and the dough tasted good  (don't you always taste it? I do.)

I had to cook the cookies more than the suggested  7-8 minutes.  I always do, because we are high in altitude.  So I wrote increase the baking time to 10 minutes OR increase the temp to 375F.   I did both because there were about 4 cookies sheets worth of cookies.

In my cookbook, I wrote that the cookies were dry but had a good taste.  I can't really explain what I meant about 'dry'---they were soft but not buttery.  I wrote NOT,  next to where it said "soft and chewy".
But then,  the next morning, the morning after I first made them,  the Handyman said,  "these are good cookies",  so I had one again. And then another and then another.  They were SOFT ----but not like a cake cookie, but they had a soft and chewy texture.  They were GOOD!!

They are a keeper!  

Oil.  Who knew?


I will have to change my notes.

Chocolate Chip Cookies With Oil

3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I used one cup)
3/4 cup chopped walnut pieces (optional)

Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt;  set aside.
Combine both the sugars and oil thoroughly using an electric mixer.  Add eggs and vanilla, and beat well.  Add sifted ingredients to creamed mixture, 1 cup at a time, beating the dough well after each addition of flour.  Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
Place heaping teaspoonfuls on ungreased baking sheets.
Bake at 350F for 7-8 minutes


1 comment:

Susan Lindquist said...

Hmmm .... I may have to try this recipe. I do have one thatI swear by. Have you made the cookies using half butter and half margarine? I swear it makes the perfect chip cookie for me ... a bit of loft, crunchy o the outside and with a moist chewy stripe at the center. Of course, bake time is crucial element with any recipe and deciding whether to remove from the hot cookie sheets or leave to settle a bit. I remove mine after about one minute out of the oven.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...