Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Mexican Casserole.... recipe #3 of the Friday Friend Cookbook

...and other stuff.

One of the other  (stuff) things is that I've been trying to figure out what book scares me.  Sheila at Book Journey asks this question in a blog post she wrote on Sunday.   I am  having a hard time answering this....the jury is still  out.
A big book (over 500 pages)?  No.   Literally scary, as in ghost stories etc?  No.
A new book by a favorite author?  Maybe--because I feel they can't live up to their last book.

I will continue to think about this one.




Okay, lets talk about Mexican Casserole and the Friday Friend Cookbook for a minute.  
My Friday Friends cookbook is just a collection of recipes from friends all together in a blue binder---I have a bet with my husband that I won’t cook every single recipe in it.   Little does he know that I probably have already made a lot of them.  They are just everyday recipes that regular people make. Nothing fancy, just  good eats.

Today's recipe is from my good friend Lisa Verner.  Lisa is originally from Texas. Transplanted to Nevada like a lot of us, but it has become her home.  I do love her little Texas  Twist to her recipes tho.  I love her little Texas Twist in everything!
Mexican Casserole, recipe #3 from the Friday Friend cookbook...it was a great meal for us...things I had on hand in my pantry, so I didn't have to run to the store.  We all enjoyed it. The only thing we did different was add some hot sauce.  Some Mexican hot sauce and this casserole was a little mild for our taste.  That kind of surprises me, that it was a little mild ---Lisa being from Texas and all.  I mean, I've had her chili.
Thanks Lisa for the recipe.

The thing about casseroles is that they tend to look alike,  (soup, cheese, meat, noodles or potatoes) so when you take a photo, it looks exactly like the one of the last casserole you took.

see:




These are two completely different meals!
One you eat for breakfast.
One you eat for supper.
One has sausage.
One has ground beef.
One had bell pepper.
One has green chili peppers.
One has milk.
One has milk.

Do you see the difference?   Just look under the cheese. 

Okay, yes, I'm poking fun at my casserole dishes.  It doesn't matter if everything is covered in cheese and they are all similar to some extent--Casseroles are comfort food! 



Mexican Casserole

Plain tortilla chips---crushed
1 lb ground beef
1 can cream chicken soup
4 oz sour cream
1 small can diced green chilies
1 can Rotel tomatoes
grated cheddar cheese
1 soup can milk

Cover the bottom of a 9x13 pan with crushed chips.  Sprinkle some grated cheese on top.  Brown and drain beef--spread on top of chips.  Heat soup, sour cream, tomatoes, chilies and milk till hot and creamy.  Pour over beef. Top with more chips and grated cheese.
Bake at 375 till bubbly--about 1/2 hour.
Serve with refried beans and  chips, sour cream and guacamole.




an update:  to include pictures of the Friday Friend whose recipe I am showcasing:

Lisa Verner---and Smokey the Bear!



2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm going to pass this one to my nephew. He's always looking for quick, tasty meals to make.

Tina said...

Could use a hot plate of this right now. Seriously, my office is like an ice box. I am loving the recipes you have been adding, particularly the quick ones. Always great on a busy night.

Scary books - I will admit that the only book that creeped me out was Stephen King's Pet Semetary. I actually woke my husband in the middle of the night to walk me to the bathroom. Too funny!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...