Sunday, January 19, 2014

Weekend Cooking and Chocolate Chip Cookie #9


The Search goes on.....



.....for the perfect chocolate chip cookie.  This is  #9 in my search.  For the most part, I am making my way thru this book (the one in the photo above), but am also adding any recipe I find for a ch chip cookie that speaks to me.  (it will say, I'm GOOD.  TRY ME.  Or the blogger/owner of the cookie recipe will say BEST EVER! )

I still haven't found that perfect cookie.   My mom's is the perfect one.  And to be perfectly honest,  I am very, very slow when it comes to making my way thru a cookbook, but I guess slow and steady wins the race.   This recipe  was okay.  I mean, how can you go wrong with  butter and sugar and chocolate chips?  So, it was okay--the cookies got crunchy after a day.  Some people love hard and crunchy  (my father-in-law) and some people love cake-like cookies (my husband, the Handyman) but I love crispy when you bit into them and chewy on the inside.  These cookies my father-in-law would love!  The Handyman, while he didn't love them, has been eating them because, like I said above, you can't really go wrong with butter, sugar and chocolate chips.  

Here is a poem by William Steele --

They're made out of sugar and butter and flour;
    You put 'em in the oven about a quarter hour,
But the thing that gives 'em their magic power
    is the chocolate chips inside.

You can't eat one; you can't eat two;
    Once you start chewing, there's nothing to do
But clean your plate, and eat the crumbs too,
    then go and find some more.

If you want to make a friend,
    you don't need beauty or money to spend
Give 'em all your love, but be sure to send
    Some chocolate chip cookies too! 




Chocolate Chip Cookies 
from the book "The Search for the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie" by Gwen Steege.
Page 40

2 cups plus 4 T flour
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 eggs
1 t vanilla extract
1 cup butter or margarine, softened till almost melted
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)

Sift flour with baking soda and salt. Add sugars, eggs, vanilla and butter. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth and well combined. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets, placing cookies about 2 inches apart.   
Bake at 375F for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden.
Remove to wire racks to cool.




I am linking up to Weekend Cooking at Beth Fish  Reads.
Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend.



4 comments:

Beth F said...

I have friend who bakes chocolate chip cookies every weekend -- also on the search for the perfect recipe. Fun, fun project.

Love the poem!

bermudaonion said...

I love chewy on the inside too. I can't wait for you to find the perfect recipe.

Peaceful Reader said...

I love chewy chocolate chip cookies. Honestly my husband makes the best. He rolls them into balls and it makes the center very soft.

Tina said...

They sure look good. I like them when they are slightly soft. You have my tummy rumbling.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...