Friday, January 31, 2014

Friday Friend Cookbook Recipe #5, Cherry Dump Cake

I know that everyone has made a 'dump' cake, and that this is nothing new, but...it is number 5 in my FF cookbook countdown. (YAY!)  

I remember the first time I tasted this tho...I thought it was delicious.  Just so yummy!  I had to have the recipe, so my good friend Susie Taylor gave it to me.
Sometimes I get so busy trying to make new trendy things, I forget how good something old and trendy ---for it's time and for home cooks---tasted.
This is one of those things....




Susie Taylor.  Hmmmm....  if I were counting down in order of how long I've known each of my 50 Friday Friends,  Susie would be counted as my 2nd oldest friend  (some family not included of course).
We met when we were 17.  Both of us worked at JCPenney.  She was on the "Fashion Board",   I wore a green and navy blue polyester uniform and worked in the snack bar.  (yes, JCPenny's had snack bars once upon a time).  But that is not the reason we met.  We met because our boyfriends (who also worked at JCPenney) were roommates.
Long story--short version.   We married those roommates and have remained close, close friends ever since.   We did a short stint as  Ricky and Lucy and Fred and Ethyl  ---living in the same apartment building.  Altho it was  a duplex and we shared a bedroom wall.  
I am still married to my JCPenney boyfriend, she is not. (but it's okay.  Everything works out in the end)

She is my children's Godmother---their Aunt Susie
Cooking is not her thing, but when I tasted this dump cake for the first time, I thought it amazing.  Just like her.  We've shared many, many adventures in the past 37  years.



*(notice my cool coffee cup?  It's the Best of Coffee cups, it's the worst of coffee cups.  It has the greatest 'first lines ever' of classic novels on it)

Cherry Dump Cake

2  16 oz. cans cherry pie filling
1 box white cake mix
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped nuts
2 sticks real butter

Spray a 9x13 pan with Pam.  Dump in pie filling. Sprinkle dry cake mix over filling.  Do the same with the coconut and nuts.  Melt the butter and pour over the top.
Bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or just plain is good too.





And now, I give you Friday Friend,  Susie Taylor  with husband Kelly,
and...oh....there is a story about the Elf Ears.  Will explain later.
And it's a side view picture.  People had side view pictures of themselves (sorry Suze), but the elf ears will come into play, and it's a big, big cookbook, so there will be another picture of her somewhere down the line)




2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

So, were you Lucy or Ethel?

Chelle B said...

This looks so delicious. This post inspired me to make sure I tell my best friend how much I love her today. Can't break a bond like you two share.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...