Saturday, January 25, 2014

I am Malala

I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the TalibanI Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It was an interesting read.  Such complicated history there.  The question remains---even tho the story of Malala has raised awareness in  America and the rest of the world, can one girl really make a change?


View all my reviews


We were all (the UMW--United Methodist Women book club) glad we read this book, and the consensus was that we all liked it.  Or thought it was interesting or we were glad we read it.  
Can one girl really change the world?  That was the discussion this morning----we agreed that one person can bring awareness to a subject, but people need to join up to help get things really changed.
There were some really deep discussion questions brought up:
Would you be brave enough to stand up for what you believed in?
Why do you think the Taliban is growing stronger still?
What do you think makes 'women' so scary to men in the middle east?
Why do the 'oppressed' become the oppressor (after gaining their freedom)?  (It has happened a lot thru-out history)

We all agreed that Malala is a very brave young woman, but give credit to her father for being an independent thinker.  He believes that his country will stay ignorant if not educated...both boys AND girls.
He instilled that thinking to his daughter and it is carried on by her.

It is a 'recommended' book.

A picture of my UMW bookies...(minus me, who is taking the pic)   now I have photo proof of all my book clubs!



1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I so admire Malala and her father so I listened to this book. I really wanted to love it but just ended up liking it. I am glad I read it, though.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...