Thursday, May 14, 2009

Operation Baking Gals--round 8




Operation Baking Gals!
It's a good thing. You should think about doing it for the next go 'round.
What is it? What do we do?
We bake! And then we package and send to a solider stationed overseas.
We do it to show our support and give a solider a smile.

There's a really good article here
to show how it all got started...
and also a little excerpt from the article....
A soldier sits for a moment in his tent after spending all day in a dry, scorching hot desert where the sand seems to get into everything. The sun is relentless, and he has not had a full night's rest in weeks. The soldier has received a package, and when he opens it, the aroma of an encouraging, familiar smell wafts up to his nose -- homemade cookies.


After reading that, doesn't it make you want to join up? With Operation Baking Gals, I mean.

Since I like to bake...once I found out about Operation Baking Gals, how could I not join in the fun?
I joined up with "Team Ugly Angel" My team leader for this round--round 8, is Kimberly of
3rd Generation Cake Lady

This round Team Ugly Angel is hosting Sergeant Mark Svatek from Wharton, TX. Mike joined the Marine Corps in January 2003 and is stationed at Marine Corps Base Hawaii. He is in Supply with 3rd Battalion/3rd Marines H&S Co. This is his second tour to Iraq. He and his wife Tina have 2 daughters. Chloe (3) and Emily (18 months).

I am a Marine baby.... even tho I'll be 50 this year, I call myself a Marine baby because I was born in Camp Pendleton, CA while my dad was stationed there.
My Great-Uncle was a Marine and he fought in the South Pacific during WWII. I have a scrapbook of his. It's priceless to me.
(YIKES...it's really my dad's scrap book --I was supposed to just be looking at it, but I've kept it for 8 years!! What if he reads this?)
My brother was a Marine, my dad's cousin was a Marine.
Semper Fi.
I hope Sergeant Mark Svatek and his buddies like all the goodies they'll be getting!

I made two different cookies to send, as well as purchased some jolly ranchers and beef jerky to stick in the box. And.. a Postcard telling about Winnemucca.

The first cookie I made was an old favorite from a Favorite Friend... A Friday Friend... Debbie. We used to live next door to each other and she would make this and we would meet at one another's house for tea and cookies.
YUM!


Chocolate Crunchies.

These have cornflakes in them. Seriously...see... (kind of looks like Frito's, but it's not)



Chocolate Crunchies

3 1/2 cups flour
3 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

sift together
***
1 cup butter
1 egg
1 Tbsp milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar

blend together
*****
1 cup oil

add this alternately with the flour mixture to the sugar mixture, mixing well.
*****

1 cup corn flakes
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup oatmeal

Stir this into the mixture

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Drop dough onto sheets by spoonful. Bake for about 10 minutes.
_______________
(I know that oatmeal isn't there fav, but you can hardly tell it's in there )



The second treat I made was from a recipe I got this past Christmas from

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary Blogsite. It looks good and easy and I think it will keep well for shipping.



Ghetto Toffee/Rumstick Crunch

1 sleeve of saltines
1 cup brown sugar
1 3/4 sticks butter
12 oz chocolate chips
chopped walnuts or pecans--optional

Cover a large sheet pan with foil. Place crackers in single layer in pan and set aside. In a small saucepan, melt butter, add sugar and cook until thick and bubbly. Pour mixture over crackers and bake at 350 degrees for 13 minutes.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. When chips are slightly melted, smooth with spatula to cover crackers.
Sprinkle with nuts. When cool, left foil and break into pieces.











Next month, I'm going to be a team leader for Operation Baking Gals. You should think of "enlisting".

6 comments:

~Kimberly said...

Yum! Both goodies look fabulous! Thanks for joining the team this round! Good luck with your team next round!

Donna-FFW said...

Both of these look delicious debbie.. Those cookies with the cornflakes have me intrigued. Ill have to try them.

The Blonde Duck said...

How wonderful! What a great cause!

Karen said...

I love those Saltine cookies! They're so easy!

teresa said...

Those are some yummy looking treats!

tamilyn said...

I always laugh when I see that name for the bars. My daughters use the word like they are 'from the hood' rather than white girls from the fricken country. I really have to make them as I have seen them on two sites, in a church cookbook (ahem, named something like Poor mans Toffee. We are so PC.) and in an old magazine page I ripped out. I may even have the ingredients on hand......

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...