Monday, November 8, 2010

Monday Memes

Good night!  I say that because I'm writing at night once again.  I know all of you,  except for those of us on the west coast,  are asleep in your beds.  Or maybe in your chairs, snoozing in front of the TV...that is where my husband is right now.
He cooked dinner tonight.  The only thing he makes:  roast beef with grilled onions and melted swiss cheese sandwiches.   They're great.  He makes them about once a month, and I like the evening off of cooking. Truth be told,  even tho I love to cook, I don't like to do it every night after work.  (and the other truth is, that if I dont' want to cook, I just don't.  I made it sound like the Handymand demanded supper on the table.  He doesn't.  I figure if I don't feel like cooking, he has two hands, he can make a sandwich...I just like it a lot when he makes this one :~)

I have to stop looking at new blogs. I keep finding memes I want to participate in...and there is just not enough time.



I just found this meme and it sounds like fun....
Meet Me On Monday    it's hosted by Java at  Never Growing Old,
as she says:

 "Blogging is a funny thing...we tell our most intimate thoughts for all to read and yet most of the time I find myself sitting and wondering, "who is this person!?" I know them...but yet I don't know them! I want to know who the person is behind all those words so I thought of a great way for all of us to "meet" each other!"


Every Sunday she will post five get to know you questions that we can copy and paste into our own Monday post and we can all learn a little more about each and every one of us!!"


To play along click on her meme and join up with the linky.
This Week's Questions:


1. What is your favorite kind of pie?
 Apple pie. Any kind of apple pie. I once had a quest to find the best apple pie EVER. I made apple pies all autumn long. Some with cinnamon only, some with nutmeg too, some with two crusts, some with a crunch/crumble topping. I don't know if I ever decided on the ultimate apple pie, but my family had a very good fall that year. Yum.


2. Have you ever ran out of gas in the car you were driving?
Yes, I have. Probably 3 or 4 times in my life. 3 of those being during my married life (32 years). I just don't like to get gas. And my husband will not gas up my car. I mean, he will if he's driving it and it needs gas, but he has never been one to go gas my car every Sunday, as my dad does for my mother. My mom has never gotten gas in her life (for her automobile, I mean....sorry, stupid pun--but kinda funny if you've raised 4 sons). What was the question? Yes, I have run out of gas.


3. How many languages do you speak?
Just one. English. I need to learn Spanish. I have grandchildren who will be bi-lingual and I think it would nice to know what they are saying. When you think about it, Americans are the only people in the whole world who are not bilingual.  ( And we think we are so smart?I just think it would benefit us all to be bilingual.


4. Do you take daily vitamins?
No, I don't. I should, but I don't.


5. What is your worst eating habit?
Probably eating out too often.


*************************

Second Monday Meme! 

It's Monday, What are you Reading


This weekly recap is hosted by Shelia of One Persons Journey Through a World of Books.


Each week we recap what we’ve read and look at what’s coming up this week. If you’re interested head over to Shelia’s site and get involved!






My apologies to my on-line book club "Hot Picks for Book Club Chicks". I had November 6th as the deadline to have our discussions up for "The Privileges" and...I am late. I'm still reading it. Luckily for me, all 4 of the on-line book club members are my friends (living near and far), so hopefully, I am forgiven. I'll finish it up this week.


These books are still on my table for my two bookclubs in town:

Half Broke Horses (Nov. for the Lit Wits)
The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet (Nov. for Totally Lit)
At Home (Dec for Totally Lit)
An American Wife (Dec. for the Lit Wits)


How I will find the time, is a good question, especially since this weekend I purchased two holiday books for myself. I decided that along with "A Christmas Carol" I wanted to read these two. I will really be in the holiday spirit. And really, really tired, since I'll be up all night reading, reading, reading. I'm not quite as fast as some of you.





The Christmas Chronicles is 735 pages!  Holy  Cow!  (I probably shouldn't use that "cow", but I'm really trying not to cuss.  My grandma said "Good Honk!" But I'm just not there yet....Holy Toledo? Maybe)


One good thing is that we are driving to Arizona for Thanksgiving, which means I will be in a car for 12 hours as a passenger. I will probably drive a few hours here and there,but for the most part, the Handyman likes to do the driving and that's fine with me, because I love to read when we drive. I read and I look at magazines and sometimes I send postcards to people. I really don't mind a road trip. 8 good solid hours of reading. Yay!


Which brings me to this from Beth Fish Reads
Thankfully Reading Weekend: 2010
Beth says:
Last year a few of us decided that the best way to spend Thanksgiving weekend was to sneak in as much reading time as possible. After all, meals are mostly leftovers, the television screen is displaying football, and the rest of the country is shopping.




Head on over here to get all the details
It's what I'm going to be doing for 2 entire days of my Thanksgiving weekend.


********************






Let's check out this weeks Musing Monday question from MizB Should Be Reading...


This week’s musing asks…
you to read this article:
Trendspotting: Readers' Spending on Books.
and then
What are your responses to this report? Does it match with what you –as a reader– have observed? With your own buying habits? When was the last time you bought a book? What did you buy and why?


I buy them all the time. For my bookclub reads. (see list above) I purchase 2-4 books every month. If we travel, I set aside a budgeted amount to spend at used book stores, which are mostly all paperback books.


Out of the 2-4 I purchase for my bookclubs, at least one will be a hardback book. I have trouble getting rid of any book I own (even tho I am a Book Crosser, I've never done it), so I keep all paperbacks too.


I guess I have never given it much thought, but it makes sense that publishers make their money on hard backed books. As consumers tho, we want the best deal possible, which is usually a trade paperback.


While I have vowed to just read the written word (see button on my sidebar) for now, I do realize that the future will bring something different. The publishing world will have to change and grow, as we all do...even tho we usually have growing pains. So does the literary and publishing world it seems.


Whew! I'm done with all my Monday info I think.

6 comments:

Shawn said...

I am a new follower from Java's Hop. I look forward to visiting you again and reading your recipes.
Shawn
www.coloradobeckers.blogspot.com

Tea said...

I love your Christmas books. I haven't started my holiday reading. This is really bugging me. I love that Christmas Chronicles. Will keep an eye out for it. I'm on Sheila's Mr. Linky.

bermudaonion said...

I buy hardbacks all the time too. Quite often, I buy a book in hardback and don't read it until after it's out in paperback. Oh well.

I've read A Season of Gifts and it's delightful. The cover of yours is much cuter than the cover my copy has.

Beth F said...

I am averting my eyes about the Christmas books -- just a touch too early for me!

THanks for helping to get the word out about Thankfully Reading Weekend.

Karen said...

You know what someone is called if they speak two languages? Bi-lingual. You know what someone is called if they speak 3 languages? Tri-lingual. Do you know what someone is called if they speak one language? An American. :)

Kathy Walker said...

Now I am feeling really behind and guilty. I have been reading but I have been reading "no brainer" books...guess I don't wish to think too hard!
I drew federal jury duty and if I am lucky enough to drive the 120 miles to serve, I will have time to read more books....and buy Christmas books!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...