Saturday, January 29, 2011

Pssst....don't tell anyone (book post)

I love Janet Evonovich's Stephanie Plumb Character.  I really, truly do love this series of books.  I love Joe Morelli and Ranger and Grandma Mazur.  I love Rex the hamster and Lola and cousin Vinnie.  I love the Burg.  I love New Jersey.
But...does anyone other than me think that sometimes, it's just the same old story?  YIKES!  I can't believe I said that, because I really love the books. I DO!
It's just that there is no "growth" in the characters.  But don't get me wrong, they are some of my favorite characters.  The books are a quick, fun, enjoyable read, but....  it must be my mood. 
There is no growth of characters as in say...Laura Lippman's Tess Monaghan series, or Julia Spencer-Fleming's Clair Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne seires.

(sigh)  And I think I've gained 20 lbs just reading the series.  Listening to what Stephanie can eat!

I have just been thinking about that as I'm reading "Sizzling Sixteen" --which I enjoy, but....I'm just thinkin'......
....okay this is a great lead in to  the Friday Coffee Chat questions.  Yes, I know it's not Friday, but I like the questions.
I read quite a few book blogs  (I am not a book blogger per se, because I don't review books as they do, I just like to read books.  And then talk about them) and two that I follow are  A Little Bookish  and Girls Gone Reading.  They both have a set of questions on  (most) Fridays for book bloggers to answer and then you comment write up a post about the questions and have a 'chat'.

Jennifer from Girls Gone Reading had these questions a couple of weeks ago:
1. What qualities make a comfort read for you?

2. What are your top comfort reads? What books do you cling to when you just want something to full up a snow day?

Well, I've  dedicated January to catch up with a lot of my favorite characters in mystery and suspense novels.  That is my comfort read.  And my snow day read. It's kind of like visiting old friends (and sometimes with friends we can get a bit annoyed and then we get over it because we love them.  That's how I'm feeling about Stephanie Plumb right now).   Old friends, old memories.  I like series books with recurring characters.  It's like coming home and catching up.
So, that's what I've been doing this January.....and I'm kind of sad that it will be coming to and end.  (maybe that's why I'm annoyed at Stephanie Plumb--it's displaced frustration :~)

Carin at  A Little Bookish had these questions last Friday:
•Are you a member of a book club?


•If so, what are your motivations for joining a book club?

•What do you look for when you join a book club? Do you seek out strangers to talk about books with (like on Meetup.com) or do you only do book clubs with friends you know and are comfortable with?

•What kind of books do you prefer to read with a book club?

•Do you like themed book clubs like romance, thriller, literary, chick lit, etc.?

•If you don’t like book clubs, tell us all why you prefer to read alone? Is it because you are shy or because reading is just private to you? Is there some other reason?


That's a lot of questions!
Yes, I am a member of a couple of book clubs.  I love my book clubs.  I love to be around people who like to read and I like to discuss books.   There are some people in my book clubs who I only see/know/get together with at our book club meetings.  I have loved getting to know them--thru books.
I think a themed book club would be great fun, but I don't have enough time to do another book club.  If I didn't have to work, I would probably join another book club, or maybe start a themed one. (sigh) Work gets in the way of so many things.
I also like to  read alone tho.....I mean, I don't ONLY read what is assigned in my book clubs.   I can read in a car, so I love going on road trips with my husband, because he drives and I am forced to sit for hours at a time and I can read, read, read!   We always take an audio book with us too.

I have a really bad habit of getting so excited about challenges (books and cooking) that I sign up for much more than I can possible handle.  Weekly ones are really  hard--I need more time--but I did love the questions, so thanks Jennifer and Carin.
Oh...and I'll have to check out  meetup.com ... this is the first I've heard about it.

Have a great day!



1 comment:

Carin said...

Oh I love your post. I have only read One for the Money in the Stephanie Plum series, but I did enjoy talking about it in my book club. I think those books are just purely fun books and there shouldn't have to be character growth. Sometimes I think those reads are good for you. There are always books that show tremendous character growth. I think of Stephanie Plum as like a comedy sitcom or something.

Thanks for reading Friday Coffee Chat! You are the second person in two weeks to tell me that you lurk (which is completely fine with me. I just appreciate that you read them. You don't have to be a book blogger to participate though. Jennifer and I purposely write the posts so anyone can join in rather than make it book blogger specific).

Meetup.com is great. I so miss my Thrill Me book club that I used to go to (I moved recently). They have all kinds of meetups so if you are interested in getting out and meeting new people, it's a good way to find people that have similar interests.

How many book clubs are you in? I find that doing one is more than enough for me because I like reading what I like to read too!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...