Friday, October 4, 2013

Summer Ceviche

You cannot trust the Handyman. Nope.  Not at all.  

Well---only when it comes to things that have cilantro and avocados and baby lima beans in them.  You absolutely cannot trust him when it comes to these things.
Because, he'll say it's not good, when in reality everyone else raved about this salad.   Really, they did.
And while you can't trust the Handyman when it comes to these ingredients  you can trust me.  It's so, so , so  GOOD!




I'm very excited for tomorrow.   We are hosting "wiener-fest",  a party, similar to Ocktoberfest where we cook hot dogs, sausages,  chorizos (a Basque hot dog), linguisia, anything 'round and hot doggish looking.    This is our 4th  semi-annual wiener fest party.  We always have a great time---we don't do anything special, but I think people come because of the name.  It's funny.

The Handyman and I just got back from the store, where we purchased all the round hot doggish looking things and all the condiments to go with them.   We do the dogs,  everyone else brings a salad or a side dish.

(Last year, my friend Theresa made these signs for me to use at wienerfest.  I am going to use them again tomorrow. That way everyone knows how to make a 'regional' hot dog.  Right?  I can't believe I've never posted about wienerfest before.)




If it were my turn to bring the side dish, I would bring this salad to share. 
Trust me--IT'S GOOD!  The Handyman has issues.   He's pretty much a meat and potato kinda guy, but me?  Not so much.   I loved all these flavors together. The fresh veggies and the fruit, (if I knew how to do a kissing sound right here, I would do so) and tangy, light dressing--Perfect!
My friend Debbie made it for the "movie-night" party (I think we are a community of partiers) and I made if for a 4th of July party.  There was nothing left.  It's really good. Really.  Good.

Enough?  You believe me?  It's good and healthy.  Try it.






Summer Vegetable Ceviche
from Food and Wine
  1. 1 cup fresh baby lima beans (from about 1 1/2 pounds in the pod) or other shelling bean  ( I used edamame) 
  2. 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
  3. 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
  4. 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  5. 1 scallion, thinly sliced
  6. 1 jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced
  7. 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
  8. Sea salt
  9. 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (raw, from 2 ears)
  10. 2 nectarines, cut into thin wedges
  11. 1 Hass avocado, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  12. 1 large orange bell pepper, finely julienned
  13. 1 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
  14. 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
  15. In a small saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the lima beans until tender, about 10 minutes (I did not cook my edamame). Drain the beans and rinse under cold water.
  16. In a large bowl, whisk the lime zest and juice with the olive oil, scallion, jalapeño and shallot; season the dressing with salt. Gently fold in the lima beans, corn, nectarines, avocado, orange pepper and tomatoes. Refrigerate the “ceviche” for at least 2 hours. Fold in the cilantro just before serving and serve the “ceviche” chilled.




3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I wish I could hop on a plane and come to weinerfest! It sounds like so much fun!

Tina said...

The salad really does look great but I am excited about wiener fest! That will be an awesome post...all things wiener :-)

Hey, thanks for the book recommendation. Sounds right up my alley.

Karen said...

I thought you'd posted before about wiener-fest... maybe not. When are you doing that... this weekend? That salad sounds good... you can't trust my gardener when it comes to food with cilantro it it, either!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...