Sunday, December 15, 2013

Cookie Exchange!





I was invited to a cookie exchange on Saturday.  I had a great time.  Thank you my friend Theresa (on the right) for hosting such a great time.




I sometimes, hate cookie exchanges, because you spend so much time making tons of cookies, go to the party and bring back tons of cookies...and while they are good cookies, your family says:  "Well where are OUR cookies."
Because your family is used to what they are used to.
Does that make sense?  (my family doesn't really want to eat cookies of unknown 'to them' origin and I wasted most of them )  Or that's how it used to be when they were little.  Now that everyone is grown up and I have been to the same cookie exchange for a few years in a row, where we know the people, my family is more prone to enjoy them.

This year was a great cookie exchange!  We had such a fun time, eating, laughing and sharing our cookie stories and we even had a little "cookie quiz". 
At the end of the party, we not only got 11 doz different cookies, but also an envelope with the cookie recipes.


The cookies I made were Pound Cake Wafers.  Kind of a whipped shortbread cookies.  Buttery and tasty.  A great Christmas cookie.
And I just put them in mason jars with a ribbon.  A quick and easy way to hand them out.






Pound Cake Wafers

2 1/2 sticks real butter
1 cup sugar
2 egg yolks  

Cream butter. Add sugar. Beat in egg yolks.

3 cups flour
1 tsp vanilla

add vanilla and then flour.   The dough will be stiff. Drop by teaspoon on an un-greased cookie sheet.

Maraschino Cherries
Pecan halves

Garnish each cookie with a cherry half or a pecan half. (or just sprinkle with holiday sprinkles)

Bake at  350 for 12 minutes. 





Here are some of the other great cookies we had!












I'm linking to Weekend Cooking at Beth Fish Reads.


Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend

5 comments:

Beth F said...

I was a cookie exchange a week ago! Your cookies look wonderful and I may have to try them next year. Better yet, I *love* the idea of presenting them in mason jars. I'm always looking for a good packaging.

Susan Lindquist said...

Cool party! I have always wanted to have a cookie exchange! How did the recipe cards get printed? How was it structured? Ideas, please?

PS-Loved your cookie presentation!

bermudaonion said...

I totally understand what you mean about cookie swaps because my family is the same way. They never eat the cookies I bring home. I love the way y'all packaged the cookies!

Karen said...

Fun! Everybody's packaging is so pretty, too.

~~louise~~ said...

Makes sense to me, Debbie! I haven't participated in a cookie exchange in years. They really are such fun but as you say, the family doesn't always appreciate them. Yet, I do remember exchanging some "keepers" through the years. I have a feeling those Pound Cake Wafers of yours are keepers!

Thanks for sharing, Debbie...

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...