Saturday, October 11, 2014

Friday Friend Recipe #26 -- Black Bean Salsa



Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.

Friday Friend cookbook:   I have about 50 of my closest friends and family on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends.  At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 15 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions,  exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts,  had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday.

AND,  we contributed recipes for a cookbook.
Which brings me to this... recipe #26

Tomi Pingree's
Black Bean Salsa



When I first had the idea of asking all my friends for recipes for a FF cookbook, I knew that lots of recipes would be similar, and that was okay for the camaraderie of bonding, emailing back and forth, etc.
I had no idea I was going to "challenge myself"  (because believe me, none of these guys care that I am doing this .  YES I consider them my Best Friends in the Whole World, but they just think this is ---- odd.  Or Fluky.  They are suspicious of what I'm going to say about them. )

I digressed so much in that sentence I forgot what I was going to say.

Oh yes---similar looking and sounding recipes.
Don't be fooled into thinking that this wonderful Black Bean salsa is like the Cowboy Caviar I posted about before!
There are subtle differences.
Cowboy Caviar had only 1 can of black beans!
Black Bean Salsa has 2 cans!

And a different dressing or sauce or marinade. (whatever you call it here)
so, while both similar, also different.
My take on community type of cookbooks where there are similar recipes is that --- if lots of people send in like types, then it must be VERY GOOD.

And this Black Bean salsa is VERY GOOD.

I want some Black Bean Salsa RIGHT NOW!
It was so yummy!




Black Bean Salsa
Tomi Pingree by way of the Friday Friend Cookbook

2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn, drained
1 purple onion, chopped
1 T. red wine vinegar
1 28oz can diced Mexican tomatoes, drained
1 chopped avacado
 2 to 4 T lime juice
1 t. salt
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped

Mix lightly together and bring on the Doritos!! 



And now I present FF Tomi Pingree!
The author of this wonderful appetizer.
For all Tomi's recipes so far, click here.

Tomi is a criminal.
I hang out with criminals.
I even aided and abetted her. 

We set off fireworks in her backyard once.

It's illegal in the State of Nevada.

(geez, I hope the statute of limitations is over, as they do use social media to catch hardened criminals nowadays. )

Can I justify it by saying our children were little and we wanted to give them a good 4th of July celebration (those founding fathers were criminals too... )
and nothing was shot into the air.  And it was on her grass.  And she stayed close by with her garden hose.

That's what I remember most about that evening.
Tomi dousing everything with water.

It's a good memory of my criminal -- gangsta friend.

She also makes a great Black Bean Salsa.



3 comments:

Laura. said...

This looks delicious, I'd Love to try it out!

www.internetlyaddicted.blogspot.co.uk

Tina said...

Look at you, busting through those cookbooks! You sure have inspired me :-)

Susan Lindquist said...

You can't beat a good salsa ! And good friends are great for egging us on to do wild and crazy things ... all in good fun!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...