Saturday, January 30, 2016

Thimble Summer

 
From Goodreads:
When Garnet finds a silver thimble in the sand by the river, she is sure it's magical. But is it magical enough to help her pig, Timmy, win a blue ribbon on Fair Day?
 
Paperback, 144 pages
Published July 1st 1987 by Yearling (first published 1938)
           
Literary Awards
 
 
From Me:
At the beginning of the year, I signed up for the Newbery Reading challenge hosted by Julie at Smiling Shelves.   
Children's literature has always held a special place in my heart -- just this past December, the week between Christmas and New Year's,  I read Charlotte's Web with 2 of my grandchildren. I love to see their reactions when reading-- and I've always wanted to read all of the Newbery Award Books.
I don't know if I'll get all of them done this year, but I do plan on reading at least one a month.
I started out with one that has been on my shelf for quite a while, Thimble Summer, first published in 1938.
While it didn't quite live up to "Little House on the Prairie"  in my mind, it was still a cute, fun read about a young girl on a Wisconsin farm in the 1930's.
The thimble did not play a big a part as I thought it might tho.
I have read other's by Enright and enjoyed them more  (Gone Away Lake was a favorite of mine), but the writing was good, simple enough for kids to really read and understand.  Sparks the imagination by  transferring you to a different time.  I would give it 3 stars.
It would be a good read-aloud also. 
 
And that is #1 in my 2016 Newbery Countdown.
I have almost 100 years to chose from!
 
 

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

It's interesting that the thimble didn't play as big a role as you expected even though it's part of the title. I wonder if kids today know what a thimble is. The book looks cute!

Katherine P said...

I haven't read this one but I love Enright's books. All the Melendy family books are wonderful and Gone Away Lake is my favorite as well. I just love the idea of all those abandoned houses! I need to find a copy of this one even though it sounds like it might not be her best.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...