Thursday, November 17, 2016

Friday Friend Recipe #109--Caroline's Appetizer



I got a bit chastised today---one of my friends who I confided in-- that I had 25 more FF Cookbook posts in my drafts told me to GET BUSY!
SO THIS IS THE 2ND ONE TODAY!



My Friday Friend Cookbook Countdown #109!
(#willreallyfinishthissomeday)
Barb's Caroline's Appetizer

and you know all the whys and wherefores of this countdown, right? Homemade cookbook, friends contributed, Handyman said I couldn't/wouldn't do it, I'll show him, yadda yadda yadda....

This...this....this is Yummy!
I would venture to say it's a crowd pleaser!



Caroline's Appetizer
Barbara Brown
Buckeye, AZ

Mix together 1 doz eggs, shredded jack cheese, 1 small can diced green chilies.
Put on greased cookie sheet (or ungreased Teflon).  Bake at 350 for 1/2 hour or till done.
Cut into small squares and serve warm from oven.
*****************
Full disclosure:
I have a very similar recipe that I have been using for years, but we always served it as a brunch item, baked in a 9x13 pan.
And it was a dozen eggs, 1lb cheddar and   1lb jack cheese with the small can of roasted green chilies.
So, when I prepared this one, I used 2lbs of jack cheese, baked in a 9x13 pan and used it for my Christmas breakfast brunch.

As I told Barb, I made this last year for the Friday Friend Cookbook...I am just a slowpoke getting this stuff posted,  but LOOK! It goes with the season now. As far as my Christmas place mats under my glass plates go, anyway.

** This is really good. We love it.




Barb is making her 27th appearance in the cookbook countdown.  You can see them all if you click here.

Remember I'm taking pictures of pictures--it's the friends and the stories that are important.

Good thing too!
Because these photos are funny/odd.

A picture of the Stone Family (Handyman with some BIG glasses there) and the Brown Family being goofy.
(they still all like to be goofy!  Even tho everyone is all grown up now.)
For years when we lived close by each other we would get together for certain holidays-- always Memorial Day and the 4th of July. Barb liked the Americana décor, so why not?  Hot dogs, hamburgers, a backyard cookout, nothing could be more Americana.

Let me just state that I KNOW I made her recipe for a Christmas Brunch and now I'm showing you photos of a summer holiday.  They don't seem to go together, BUT I'm running out of photos  here.  I didn't have a cell phone back then and didn't realize I'd have to document my life! I'm grabbing the bottom of my picture box!



The reason I know we were being goofy on purpose?
Look at this photo:
Doug has a chicken bone in his hand.  I have no idea my purpose with these photos, but they came in handy today!



Our holiday get-togethers were never over the main holidays, but  always the Red-White and Blue ones, with an occasional New Years Eve or Superbowl thrown in.
On the Red-White and Blue holidays we had a tradition...



See the little green thing in the pool?  It's a watermelon!  I can't remember how the whole thing started, but Doug would always toss the watermelon in the pool and the kids would swim around it all weekend.  We never ever got around to eating one of those watermelons.

The watermelon tradition didn't start out to be my story about Barb tho...
I was glancing in my Friday Friend notebooks this morning and  found this,  from November 15, 2006...
(I had asked everyone if they were going to go up in a hot air balloon, where would they go, given the chance?)
Barb wrote:
I used to have a list of things I wanted to do and going up in a hot air balloon was one of them (but also on the list was filling up someone's office with wadded up newspapers...)

Barb!!!  This is  still so totally doable!!
Let's do it!  I will be your partner in crime!
They better have a pretty small office tho.
What fun!

She went on to say that she'd like a hot air balloon ride over  Venice Italy.

And that's my Barb Story.
Watermelon and Wadded up newspapers.
The "W" story of Barb.
See,  I can connect everything!!




No comments:

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...