Thursday, April 27, 2017

Friday Friend Recipe #130 -- Crab Dip (mom's)




Come with me as I continue to countdown my Friday Friend Cookbook!

What is it, you may ask?

In a nutshell...
About 17 years ago, 50 of my closest friends and family, who had been on an e-mail forum with me, sent in recipes in different categories and we compiled a cookbook.
I decided to count those down!
Why?

Because  one night I was looking thru the cookbook and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog"
The Handyman--who thinks he knows me better than I know myself, said,  "you'll never EVER do that."
Well,  maybe I will!  Maybe I'll show him!

Which brings me to recipe #130 My mom's Crab Dip



This is good!  So...So...SO good!
I didn't use 'fake' crab tho.  I bought a can of real crab.  Good crab.
Cream cheese.  Sour Cream. Mayonnaise.
This is not a low-fat or low-cal appetizer,  so just put all those diet thoughts away as splurge for the moment.  You won't regret it cuz this tastes so good!










This is my mom's 22nd time in the FF Cookbook Countdown. 
If you want to see all her recipes just click here!

So...speaking of diets.  What?  Yes, I did, earlier, I said to put your diet thoughts away and splurge on this crab dip!

My parents have been life-long dieters.  They loved a fad diet.  A get rich  (or thin) quick scheme.
There was of course:  the Slender diet (like slim fast, before there was slim fast), the Olympic Ski Team diet, the grapefruit diet, the Scarsdale diet, the Ayds diet (mostly my grandma did this one--it was a little square like caramel candy that was an appetite suppressant.  My brother and I LOVED them!) The  Cabbage Soup diet, The Beverly Hills diet and finally Weight Watchers!  They landed on Weight Watchers and stuck with that (thank goodness!)  whenever the mood to diet struck them, from the 1980's on.

My personal favorite, while growing up was the Grapefruit diet--because I loved grapefruit.  You sprinkled all that sugar on top--YUM!
Oh, right, we weren't supposed to put sugar on them.  I never could seem to get that right.  I had an aunt  once who broiled the grapefruits with brown sugar, now those were so good!
But I digress.
I liked when my parents did the grapefruit diet, as we got to have grapefruit with every meal.
A variation on the low-carb fad, this diet suggests that an enzyme found in grapefruits helps burn fat when eaten with high fat meals containing things like eggs and bacon. It didn’t really peak in popularity until the ’70s, but grapefruit doesn’t really burn fat, so nothing was really lost in that time.

I once asked my parents what was the strangest weight loss technique they ever tried, their answers are below.
It's funny because I would ask them each separately and so many times their answers were so similar.
I guess that's what happens when you are together since kindergarten.



What was the funniest diet fad you ever tried?

my mom---
the funniest diet fad that I have ever tried was to have staples in my ears.  When you were hungry, you were supposed to wiggle the staples and it would take the hunger away!  And we both lost a lot of weight!
Jay and Sue went with us to Nampa, ID to have this done and once we got there, Jay chickened out, so Sue's mother had it done. 
It was fun, but stupid.

My dad---
I've been on every diet known to man but probably the strangest one was when we had staples placed in our ears.  It was a type of acupuncture and was placed in the middle of the ear and when jiggled, it was supposed to suppress your appetite.  We (jay & sue butner) and your mother and I traveled to Nampa, Idaho to have it done and good old Butner backed out, so just the three of  us did it.  I lost over 40 pounds, but I'm sure I t was psychological.  Before I had a chance to go back to the Dr. and have it removed, I caught a towel on it while drying my hair and it ripped out!

So that's my mom story!
As well as recipe  #130
168 to go!




2 comments:

Karen said...

I remember my mom buying Ayds... they were good!!

bermudaonion said...

This would be perfect for book club!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...