Friday, March 23, 2018

Friday Friend Recipes #182 and #183 -- Pea Salad or Peas Pittsacado



My Friday Friend Cookbook Countdown #182 and #183!
(#willreallyfinishthissomeday)

My mom's Peas PIttsacado and
My cousin Linda's Pea Salad

and you know all the whys and wherefores of this countdown, right? Homemade cookbook, friends contributed, Handyman said I couldn't/wouldn't do it, I'll show him, yadda yadda yadda....


...and the rest is cookbook history!






Peas Pittsacado on the right, Pea salad on the left.  (I think)


Peas Pittsacado 
My Mom, Bev Hambelton


2 pkgs frozen peas (thawed)
1 cup sour cream
6 chopped green onions
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 t salt
dash pepper

Mix together and refrigerate overnight,

vs
Regular Pea Salad 
My cousin, Linda Ornelas


16oz frozen peas
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 small onion, chopped
1 8oz can water chestnuts, chopped
3 oz real bacon bits
8oz sour cream
1/2 cup mayo
1 pkg dry ranch dressing

Mix al ingredients together. Chill several hours before serving (make sure peas have thawed)


I actually love both of these salads.  They are cool and crisp and fresh and remind me of summer.
Truth be told I would combine the two-- I love the real bacon of my mom's peas pittsacado (I just love saying/writing that word.  I think  my mom made it up!), but I love the ranch dressing of my cousin's version much better than just plain sour cream.


This is recipe #182 and #183--only 111 left to go!
That's all a lie!! Because I miss counted once and I still have many many more to go--- I've lost count and it's much too stressful for me to figure now. (sigh)

Okay, now, let me just say, I bet you are thinking this story should be about my mom and my cousin and the whole 'pea' salad comparison, but no, it is not.  This post is going to be about my sister-in-law, LeAnne.
Why?  Because my mom and my cousin have lots of recipes in this countdown and LeAnne has none. 
And she hates peas.
I just found this out and it saddens me.
Who the hell hates peas? 
Apparently a  lot of people, I'm finding out.
But why this in particular saddens me about LeAnne is-- that we are supposed to be old widowed ladies who live together
(I pray this never happens, not because I couldn't be her roommate, but it means her brother would have to die before me and I just don't want that to happen.  We've gotten a good laugh out of it for 40 years tho--we'll be roomates one day!)

But Wait!
Does this mean I cannot make peas ever again?
Buttered peas over my white rice (my mom always served this with Teriyaki steak--I think she had it at a Japanese restaurant once in 1961 and it stuck with her every since.  Don't knock it till you try it)
Creamed Peas and New Potatoes?
Peas and carrots?
Spilt Pea Soup!
Peas in my fried rice?
Peas in my Spanish rice?

OMG! What have I done? 
Committed myself to my old age with a non-pea lover!!
You know what?  I'm still going to make them--we'll be so old she won't remember that she hates them.

LeAnne's been a secret pea hater since I've known her--41 years!  I might have thought twice about asking her to be my maid of honor if I had known!

 (remember, it's not about the photos---it's about the story)

back in our crazy days.....before I knew about the peas!


She and her brother, my Handyman---secret family vegetable haters.  His was green beans.  Still is.  


40 years later with her granddaughter Alice, daughter Melissa, and me!








1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I love peas but don't know that I like them cold.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...