Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Friday Friend Recipe #231 and #232 - Deep Dark Chocolate Cake and Buttercream Frosting and #233 -- Slow and Easy Spare ribs





My Friday Friend Cookbook Countdown #231, #232, #233
(#willreallyfinishthissomeday)

Deep Dark Chocolate Cake and Buttercream Frosting
and
Sweet and Sour Spare Ribs

and you know all the whys and wherefores of this countdown, right? Homemade cookbook, friends contributed, Handyman said I couldn't/wouldn't do it, I'll show him, yadda yadda yadda....

...and the rest is cookbook history!







I was a swim team mom for years---summer Saturdays spent all day beneath a canopy, among many canopies, under the hot, hot shade-less sun of  110 degree central California.
This is where I happened to meet Linda Higby, a fellow swim team mom.
Our kids went to the same school, so we were familiar with each other, then later Linda ended up working at the same school I was working and we shared our love of books.
(later still---she became the school librarian at the elementary school where I had been the assistant librarian--hence her photo with books in the background--I stole this picture from Facebook.)
We had a fun few summers spent together every Saturday, but sadly we've not kept in touch either my snail mail or email. 
We are Facebook friends, so I'm sure she'll see this post and hopefully appreciate my story--she was part of the Friday Friend forum for the last couple of years, and then... fade to black...we just haven't kept up at all.
She did, tho, turn in these 3 recipes for the cookbook. 



Back then--24 years ago--I didn't have a cell phone so photos were fewer and I can't actually find one of Linda at the swim meets, but she was there--we all were.  Sweating it out, keeping hydrated, keeping our kids energy level up with food throughout the day  (during a swim meet--waiting 60 minutes after you eat to swim does not compute) and keeping our littler ones entertained.
She's a pretty lady and makes a mean chocolate cake!
My story tho--involves swim team and  a very special person--Linda will understand this, I'm sure.

Eric was the son of  one of my best friends, Judy. Judy and Duane and their kids Eric and Stacy sat with us under those canopies all summer long for years!   And we had many fun Backyard BBQ's and our husbands were active in the Chamber of Commerce.
So much fun...and happily I have kept in touch with Judy these past 22 years since I have moved away.
here is a link to her Cookbook entries---
I know that Linda would be happy to share with Judy.

Without going into detail here on the blog---just know that Eric was lost to us too soon,  we all loved him very much and miss him always.
 I'm just going to share a few swim team photos and  let Judy know that her son is never forgotten--I still think of him every time it rains.  He loved it and so do I!

It never rained on a swim meet tho!
24 years ago--here is a photo of Eric, in the middle, and my son Mark on the left and part of my friend Judy on the right.
There was lots of downtime waiting for your heat in a specific race--sometimes we would sit in the bleachers to watch other kids.


 A photo of my oldest son Luke  (in the middle) Linda's son Tom (on the left) and my middle son, Dustin on the right---still sitting in bleachers waiting for their heats to begin.
See--I knew I could bring it around to Linda, even tho I have no picture of her ever!


Someone once said that being a swim team parent in central California brings out the best in parenting and the worst in parenting.
I think it's true of grocery shopping with kids too!
Swim meet days tho, because it was often over 100 degrees! Long time between heats and boring for siblings who didn't swim too.

Our Friday Friend Adria's little one Cassie.
Adria's recipes  click here   (you can see a picture of Cassie all grown up!) 

my sons, Dustin and Mark --waiting their turn to swim

Judy and Adria--waiting for their kids to swim


Judy's daughter Stacy


Kids swimming


 My kid swimming--Luke.




My favorite memory of Eric tho, is not one of a swim meet, but once when he spent the night at our house and he and my son Dustin found some old wigs.  I have no idea why they were at my house or where they came from , but they proceeded to have a blast and be as goofy as they could be.
Eric loved Reba, loved a good conert and loved his family and friends.





My friends I bring to you recipe #231, 232 and 233
Only 134 left to go!

I would love to reconnect with Linda--it's as easy as a Facebook message.
Perhaps I'll do that once this is posted and send her a link.

Go make this chocolate cake now.





No comments:

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...