Monday, March 25, 2013

Brunch Puffs


Easter is coming up fast, and if you do a big Easter breakfast or brunch at your house, these eggs are  the  perfect thing!

It's  not so much that these scrambled eggs inside a cream puff are any more tasty than your own scrambled eggs, but presented inside a cream puff just makes them a little bit more special.  And together, everything tastes great. 
I even want to have company for breakfast!  And that's saying something, because I like my 'alone time' in the morning, but these are worth showing off.

I found this recipe in  The "Taste of Home"  Spring's Best magazine--found at a friendly grocery store near you--and bookmarked a bunch of recipes to try.  This was the first one, so we're off to a good start.



As I said, you can very well use your own scrambled egg recipe if you want to, but add some cheese or something.  Ham, bacon, sausage?
You could really use whatever you want.

Here's what they suggest:

Brunch Puffs
Judy Gochenour, Logan UT via Taste of Home

1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 eggs

In a large saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a boil.  Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms.  Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg.  Beat until mixture is smooth and shiny.
I 'beat' by hand---doesn't everyone when making cream puffs?

Drop by 1/4 cupfuls, 2 inches apart onto a greased baking sheet.  Bake at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes or until light golden brown.  Transfer to a wire rack.   Split puffs open and discard the tops.   Set aside.

1/2 cup green pepper (or red, or both) chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion (I used purple)
1 T. butter
8 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup chopped fully cooked ham
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

In a large skillet, saute peppers and onion in butter until tender.  In a medium bowl, beat eggs, salt and pepper.  Add to skillet, stirring over medium heat until almost done.  Add ham and cheese, stir until eggs are set.
Spoon into puffs.  Serve immediately.




Enjoy your Easter!

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I've never made cream puffs but those sure do look delicious. Carl is the breakfast chef around here - I wonder if he'd take the hint if I emailed this to him.

Susan Lindquist said...

What a great recipe! Must remember to make this when the crowd comes for a long weekend! What a great brunch dish!

Tina said...

Brilliant idea...classy looking too :-)

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...